[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was attack?

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:06:56 -0600

Suzanne,
   In all the school presentations that we have done.........and it is well
in the hundreds by now......the one thing I see kids do instinctly is to
throw their arms around my dogs neck and those little faces are less than an
inch away from their mouths. My dogs are FINE and I never worried about them
but I do warn the kids to PLEASE not do this! The kids get excited and
squeeze their necks.......and especially a less than sound dog could easily
take that as the kid trying to choke them. I also explain that bringing
their hands down in a hurry to pet the top of the dogs head FIRST could be
preceived as a threat to the dog......I make my point by walking over to one
of the kids and doing just that and of course they duck!  So many of these
attacks could be prevented by educating the kids....forget the adults! We go
to pre schools in a heart beat!  mo

> The problem is, thats you, and me, and most of the folks on this list know
how to raise a well socialized dog without planning or even thinking about
it.  You are the alpha in your home.  JQ Public doesn't and isn't!  Don't
believe me?  Ask your local AC how many kids get bitten by the family dog.
The numbers are astronomical!  How many people can't take food from their
pet?  Or a toy or a bone?  What about the dog who won't be quiet when told
to? Or the dog who listens to dad and no one else?  How about the dog who
'won't allow" visitors in your home?  Behaviorists see cases so bad that the
DOG controls the household - not the family.  Or the vet sees them as he's
sending them on to the next life.....
> Never say never....... Rarely is a dog bite unprovoked.  The problem lies
in what we consider "provoked" and what the dog considers "provoked."   So
many people want and brag about owning an "alpha" male who is "in charge"
whereever he goes.  So when do you brag when that dog also tries to be in
charge of your kids???

> These are animals.  They have to be treated like animals and the public -
non showing but pet owning public - has to be educated in ways to control
their pets like we do.  OR the end result is dog bite and euthanasia and
again the breed, whatever breed they own, is perceived as "unpredictable."
How many breeds are "known" for turning on their owners by JQP???????????

> Not just my opinion, read the research......Michael Fox, Ian Dunbar,
Animal Behavior Associates Newsletters, etc.