[ SHOWGSD-L ] was: IS THE GSDCA TOO DESPERATE? some thoughts...

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:20:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2005 12:38:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx writes:
With  someone like this lady, I think an approach like "oh, we could sure use
your  knowledge and expertise in our club" and let them know that they have
something very valuable to share with the rest of us as well as offering the
comraderie of the other club members.  If you could get her involved with  the
local club, maybe joining the PC would follow.
Find out what her  objections to joining are, and then talk her out of them.
 <BG>
Jamie

I tried.  It was a three day trial and boy did we have a whole  lot of
waiting to do <G>.

Her main objection was that the PC was primarily for people interested in
breed.  True enough.  OK, we do performance stuff too, but the  emphasis is on
the breed ring.  Remember, this lady has taught OB for tens  of years.  What
gets placed in pet homes?  Right, those dogs who are  "not exactly".  The (big
bad) breeder keeps the best.  In ANY  breed.  (Hell, if I'm going to put all
the blood, sweat and a whole lot of  tears into the process, you had better
believe it!)....Still, what is available  for die hard performance enthusiasts?

More of the same.  (In ANY  breed.)

Finish a few dogs and everybody wants you to take one of their good  ones.
Call around wanting a "good one" for a performance prospect and see  who will
talk to you.  I'm not saying this is right, wrong or indifferent,  it's a "just
is".

By the end of the weekend, I had made a new friend.  The bitch that  sat
quietly next to this lady's dog under the tent and impressed this lady with
her
lovely manners was (gasp!) a BREED dog, so maybe we made some points  there.  I
shared cool wet towels and the best sprayer my (new) friends had  ever seen
so that their dogs would be more comfortable, so maybe some came away  with the
idea that "breed people" aren't all self centered, and might actually  have a
good idea or two.

Basically, I made new friends, but not a new member on the regional or
national level.

I'm not looking to start a debate or get everyone all defensive, but there
are a whole lot of people out there who love their dogs, who spend a TON of
money on their dogs (so it's not dollars and cents), who, because they have  no
interest in the breed ring and feel there's be no point to joining.  If  you
had to categorize potential new members into underrepresented groups, you'd
have the owners of  the performance dog and family pet.

One thing I'd like to suggest to target performance people is for regional
clubs offer a "high scoring" trophy at their local all breed performance  eve
nts, and actually have someone who is going to be there anyway stick around,
present it, make a big deal of it and make new friends.  The problem w/  that
though is so many regional clubs are hurting for $$$$...still, a $6 short
leather leash isn't a big deal to come up with....

Targeting owners of one or two family pets is hard.  I've recruited a  few
over the years on the regional level, but they don't "stick".  They  love their
dogs, but family, work and other leisure activities leave little  room for the
GSD owner who isn't involved in competition to be active in club  events.

The Rottie and Golden people do a nice job of reaching out to get everyone
involved.  I wonder how?

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_