[ SHOWGSD-L ] walk softly

  • From: Anne Utter <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 16:14:50 -0500

I never trained for Sch. but I did work a dog for protection purposes. This
German Shepherd dog (he was white), seemed to be a natural.  At a young age if
he heard a child cry across our small lake, he wanted to go toward it and would
bark and run the edge of the lake.  He had no fear of anything and loved
everyone it seemed - even the trash man and postman.  Since he had no fear of
noise or anything, the 'perpetrator' suited up and used his gun with blanks the
first time to see how he would react.   The dog barked and went right for the
sleeve. The gun noise did not faze him.  It all seemed like a game to him.
He had already been taught the "out" etc. so it was not a problem to get him
off the sleeve.
Maybe the problem with him would have been that he was too friendly as anyone
could pet him while he was holding onto the sleeve.  Yet, I have a strong
feeling that if anyone had truly tried to hurt  a child especially, they would
not want to be on the business end of this dog.   Their natural abilities are
such fun to watch as the 'lightbulb' comes on whether it be in herding,
tracking, protection etc.
Anne, GA

Sent from Anne's

http://showgsd.org/mail.html