[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: training with treats

  • From: Kate Syssoloff <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:21:22 -0600 (MDT)

Yes, Kay.. It's an individual thing and I respect how you train.  However, I'm
not manipulating my dog physically in the conventional way of choke and leash.
I've come from the background of Schutzhund working dog (years ago) where
motivation comes from 'play'.  There is no harsh anything, for instance, we use
a wall to heal next to to keep the puppy straight and if forging, we quickly
pat our leg, giving the heal command and change direction in a happy tone, and
patting the pup when it reaches that special spot by the left knee.  We
probably do a lot of what you do, except we do not feed.  We just play with an
old toy, I use a ball in a sock with lots of knots tied in it.. and, we get the
dog to lock on it and we swing the dog from side to side ....  just games.
They go absolutely crazy for that silly thing and learn very quickly.

Kate Syssoloff
Rockannand