[ SHOWGSD-L ] toxic gut

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:24:47 -0400

Candy and all,
I lost a sable show pup (purchased from a breeder) from toxic gut a few years
ago.  In the morning, the puppy was fine.  When I got home from school, he was
in the kennel with his back arched.  He had thrown up, had diarrhea, was
obviously in distress.  I took him immediately to my vet, who opened him up and
said it looked like "red jello" in there.  Needless to say, he died.  I have
never seen anything come on so quickly.  I had an autopsy done (tissue samples
were sent to Cornell.)  Inconclusive, although poisoning was ruled out.  They
thought it was genetic in nature.  It had to have been a horrible death for the
poor little guy--I had him 3 WEEKS when this happened.  (Don't even ask if I
got a replacement.)
Penny in NY