[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: to The List

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dick_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dick_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "InquestGSD@xxxxxxx" <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, "ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx" <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 07:28:53 -0800 (PST)

I agree.  Back in the 1970's, when the specialty entries were much larger, I
had some success as an awkward young owner-handler competing against Jimmy
Moses, Doug Crane, Lamar Kuhns, and Kim Knoblach in the Southeast.  However, I
had a drop dead gorgeous outstanding moving bitch that made up for my lack of
handling expertise by the way she pulled me around the ring and showed herself
to the judges.  Today, I see some owner handlers who come to almost every
show.  They are very nice people who are good sports and believe in the dogs
they are showing.  Unfortunately, their dogs are not competitive.  It isn't
just about the handling skills if an owner-handler wants to win and finish
champions.  The dog has to be up to the competition.  Too frequently, people
don't want to hear that they need to get a better dog.  They get angry and
defensive when people are just trying to help them win.  It has been painful
for me to read all of this exchange
 with Sara.  It is hard to need help, and it is hard to help.  I have a woman
coming over in an hour who is upset because no one she has contacted will agree
to breed their dog to her bitch.  I have a couple of bitch puppies here who I
think would be nice potential foundation brood bitches.  But, if I bring it up,
she will probably just think I am trying to sell her a puppy rather than
honestly trying to help her get started.  She wants to hear that she can breed
up from what she has and that I will breed  one of my champions to her bitch.
It really is hard to help people.  And it is hard to be someone like Sara, who
seems like a very nice person who wants to both do right by the breed and
finish a dog herself.  I wish I had the answers on either end!  What would I
say to her?  I would say, "Get a better dog and hire a handler.  If you want to
win, then play to win."  But, I'm sure that would come across as too harsh.
Maybe UKC is
 the right place for her right now.  Sara, if you are reading this, my heart
goes out to you.  I hope you will stay in the game.  Although I know it is hard
to swallow sometimes, you have been given some excellent advice by some of the
top people in the breed.  I have learned a lot from some of these same people,
especially when they were telling me something I didn't want to hear!  I know
it is hard to feel grateful when your feelings are hurt.  I have certainly had
mine stomped flat a few times!  You seem like a very bright young person.  Step
back, take a deep breath, and sort it all out.  If you can, plan to attend the
Judge's Seminar at the National this (or any) year.  Anyone can attend.  I go
almost every year in order to assimilate a greater understanding of
the Standard and how everything fits together.  I wish you the best and hope to
meet you down the road.

Well, everyone, wish me luck with the woman who will be at my doorstep in a few
minutes.  I hope I can be gentle and tactful, and that she doesn't go away
mad!  I am willing to help her if she will let me!

Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Home of Multiple Group Winner  GCH RiverRock's Hotel California (Callie) HSAs
RN BN
and her 13 beautiful puppies sired by Welove Du Chien's Captain America (Stevie)