[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the article on twisted legs in newborns...

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:33:34 -0500

This post came this morning on the Virginiashowdogs list...thought it was
interesting enough to share:
Peggy
(here in sunny and warmish Richmond)

Hi, I read the article on the twisted leg and I had that myself.  This
happens with Yorkies occasionally when there are several puppies.  I only
had one that could not be fixed because it completely turned.  However, the
below info just occurred to a Yorkie litter that one of my males sired.
This has since turned out to be a show dog!  Just an FYI on the previous
report of a twisted leg.
Mary
Thimbletip Yorkshire Terriers
Wow!  How sad. Litter of 5 produced a tiny boy with a knee turned 360 degree
from being crowded in utero. I had his leg splinted for a period of 3 weeks
and then splinted his foot like pigeon- toed for a period of one week.  I
got the idea from what they do to children who are born with crooked legs.
They cast them with a bar between the legs.  My vet had never heard of this
either but I insisted that he do what I asked.

He learned something from a lady who raised two kids and is a people watcher
and a dog observer.  He learned from a dog breeder.  He contacted Virginia
Tech Vet school and they had never heard of splinting dogs but they do it to
colts regularily.

Actually, he walked the day the first splint went on.  We changed the splint
weekly.  He is 7 months old and runs and plays perfectly.  The knee and
ankle are perfectly aligned at this time. Had I not been agressive about
treatment, he would have been crippled and still flaying like a fish out of
water.  I had people who wanted me to give him to them and leave him
crippled but had he needed surgery down the line, I figured it was my
responsibility to provide him the opportunity of a normal life.

Pass on the information about splinting the knee and ankle so other pups
will not lose their lives.