  • From: "James and Gail Wells" <thirty55@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 00:32:54 -0800

Hip Hip Hooray Helen!!  Thank you for being so frank and speaking with such
passion.  This is something that many people don't realize and today there does
seem to be a great many people around who want instant gratification.  I hope
they heed your words.
You must learn when you're new and you must continue to learn no matter how
long you have been around.  I started in this breed in 1972 and from the very
beginning sought knowledge from everyone who was willing to share.  Sometimes
it was just sitting quietly listening to knowledgeable people converse about
our breed and sometimes I asked questions.  I had success way back then because
I listened, learned and above all RESPECTED those people who had worked so hard
for their success.

I will never forget the first National I went to.  It was in Anaheim and I went
back into the grooming area and was in awe of the dogs and the people.  Seeing
LaMar work his magic on a dog is something I will never forget.  It's amazing
how much you can learn when you have an opportunity like that just by paying
attention.  I took a break from the conformation ring due to personal
circumstances in the mid 1980's and came back in 2005 feeling like a total
novice.  I knew what I liked and I knew what I didn't like but rather than
thinking that I knew it all I once again listened and learned and I will
continue to do just that.

I have had the good fortune of being around some wonderful people who know
their stuff and share their knowledge.  Whether you are a "newbie" or someone
who has been around for a long time it is essential to continue to LISTEN and
LEARN.  My reward for doing that was getting and finishing a beautiful bitch
that I love with all my heart.  If I had not done that I would have missed out
on so much joy.

This list is a great place to learn and I for one am very thankful to be a part
of it.  There are so many people here that have been very helpful to me and to
others.  You guys are great!

Gail
Gail J. Wells
Echowind - Tacoma, WA

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: students of the breed
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:06:03 -0500

This is an excellent post.  Thank you, Helen!

Peggy