  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <santanagsd1954@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:55:16 -0500

Barb,
Great description and EXACTLY what makes the great ones.
Nancy
  #1: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Shoulders and shoulder layback in puppies
  #2: From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  #3: From: sheila lieberman
<dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: still time entries for January in Florida Treasure Coast
  #4: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Microchips cause cancer... read about it
  #5: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: more about rabies and vaccinations......
  #6: From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: The Way We Were
  #7: From: James Barnhart
<jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jim@hiddenforestgermanshepherds.
com>>

  Msg: #1 in digest
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:36:57 -0500

  Me, too!  Isn't it wonderful?  No matter how much you know, there's always
  someone who knows more....
  there are a lot of things I know but I don't know why they happen...this
  kind of discussion is just the BEST!
  Peggy

  From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:47:45 -0500

  In a message dated 12/19/2007 1:56:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
  but you  CAN tell shoulder assembly and
  length on a newborn pup or colt.  These  ratios are unchanging.  If a
puppy
  or colt has a short upper arm at  birth, or straight shoulder, it will
  remain so.   Croups change,  shoulders are constant.

  How about the prosternum?  I've seen so many pups, from the age of 5 to 12
  weeks, who look as if they have little or no prosternum.

  I know a good prosternum is dictated by correct shoulder layback and the
  shape and placement of the ribcage.  So, can a young puppy, who looks as
  though he/she has little or prosternum, develop a correct prosternum as
  he/she ages?

  Thanks in advance for answering my question.

  Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
  Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #3 in digest
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:54:18 -0800 (PST)
  From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>>

  COME ON!!!!!!!  You wait till the last second and you just make more
stress.  Enter now, enter tomorrow, but don't wait longer.  Entries close
Saturday!!!!!!  Time is almost up.

    There are 3 clubs with 6 shows and a temperament test, and more fun than
we deserve, so hurry up and reduce stress by entering now.
    sheila
  almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    There is still time to get your entries in
  Treasure Coast German Shepherd Dog Club
  Tuesday Jan. 8th 2008 Doris Farrell
  Wednesday Jan. 9th 2008 Rita Sandell

  online entries accepted and must accompany paypal payment at:

http://almanyagsd.pages.web.com/tcgsdc/id15.html<http://almanyagsd.pages.web.com/tcgsdc/id15.html>

  show secretary:
  Murat Ahman
  PO BOX 72
  Palm City, Fl. 34990

  if you need any other info just ask...........

  AMY SAFDIR
  Almanya Shepherds
  www.almanyagsd.com<http://www.almanyagsd.com/>

  POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  ---------------------------------
  Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo!
Search.

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:03:11 -0500

   It is no longer just lab mice or dogs and cats.  With FDA approval,
  Verichip is now injecting diabetic patients, yes, that's right, humans -
  with the same possible results.  This is not just about our pets, it is
  about us!!

http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/DogCare/0709.Microchip-Causes-Tumors.htm<http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/DogCare/0709.Microchip-Causes-Tumors.htm>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #5 in digest
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:18:52 -0500

  Veterinarians derive major income from booster shot visits.  Despite the
  reluctantly agreed upon 2005 Am. Vet. Assoc.  policy, many vets still
insist
  on "sticking it" to dogs and their owners.  Take your dog in for yearly
  checkups but we suggest you avoid inundating your dog's immune system with
  vaccines and other unnecessary preventative treatments.  Explore much more
  in Vaccines learn why vaccine-induced disease or death is a preventable
  tragedy.  Links to new vaccine protocol at bottom of page.

  Explore the entire Resource Library for DogCare, Pets & Families,
  Exhibition, etc!!

  U.S. Declared Free of Canine Rabies Virus - But.

  CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding stated "The elimination of canine rabies
  in the United States represents one of the major public health success
  stories in the last 50 years."

  While dogs may still become infected from raccoons, skunks or bats, they
  will not catch dog-specific rabies from another dog, the Atlanta-based
U.S.
  Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

  "We don't want to misconstrue that rabies has been eliminated -- dog
rabies
  virus has been," CDC rabies expert Dr. Charles Rupprecht told Reuters in a
  telephone interview.  "Rabies evolves to match the animals it infects, and
  the strain most specific to dogs has not been seen anywhere in the United
  States since 2004", Rupprecht said.

  You caught the "but" part.  Your dog can still become fatally infected
from
  contact with animals other than dogs.  To further clarify, Kris Christine,
  Founder and Co-Trustee of the Rabies Challenge Fund told National Pet
Press
  "relative to the canine rabies virus -- there are many different strains
of
  the rabies virus, but the canine one, which is transmitted from dog to
dog,
  poses the greatest threat to humans, according to the CDC.  So, while
there
  is a reduced risk of rabies for dogs and their humans; dogs can still
  contract rabies from bats and skunks and transmit it to their owners.
  Progress has been made, but the risk has not been eliminated."

  But wait, don't rush your dog or cat to the vet for re-vaccination.  Due
  pressure from TheDogPlace.com, vets, and dog-journalists, formerly
  suppressed information is now in the public domain.  The AVMA (American
  Veterinary Medical Assoc.) has recently classified as "core vaccines"
those
  deemed most virulent and deadly, and non-core for the ever-expanding list
of
  shots pushed by McVet practices.

  Breaking the sound barrier on animal immunizations has also re-opened the
  debate about childhood booster shots.  That remains a complicated subject,
  especially the new vaccine for teenage girls which is now mandated by some
  school districts - and has been overturned in some states due to parental
  protest.

  But the cat is out of the bag on the benefit vs risk associated with
yearly
  rabies booster shots for pets.  For this break-through, we credit the
  determination of one person, Kris L. Christine.  She was for years the
most
  vocal objector to required rabies revaccination.  She has been joined by
  many of the nation's most respected research veterinarians who have formed
  the Rabies Challenge Fund.
http://www.RabiesChallengeFund.org<http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/>

  Regarding the Fund, Founder Kris Christine told National Pet Press "The
  Rabies Challenge Fund will finance 5 and 7 year challenge studies at the
  University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine to determine the
  long-term duration of immunity of the canine rabies vaccine.  In light of
  the reduced risk to human from the canine rabies virus, it is especially
  important that dogs are not required by law to be overvaccinated."

  For a complete collection of articles on vaccine and booster shots for
your
  pet, go to:

http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/DogCare/Vaccines/00V.Index.htm<http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/DogCare/Vaccines/00V.Index.htm>

  Reuters - read entire press release:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0741162020070907<http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0741162020070907>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #6 in digest
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:55:45 -0800 (PST)
  From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Jim,
  Let's assume for a moment that your perception is correct, that we've lost
the powerful thrust that great movers had in the past(i've been doing this
since 1990 so i'm still a relative newcomer and didn't see those dogs of the
past), the way to get it back is to have the dogs shown on a loose lead. In
that way those dogs that have the power thrust and correct foreassembly and
good back etc etc will naturally go to the front of the line and will become
our breeding foundation to get back what you think we've lost. Agreed???

  Bill

  From: James Barnhart
  Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:35:37 -0800

  Bill,  I think loose lead evaluation is a better way of finding the
  dog that is the best mover relative to the other dogs in the ring.
  The point that I'm having a hard time getting across is that  I think
  that the power that once thrust some of our great movers of the past
  forward is gone.  Lamar also said, "Be careful, the traits that have
  made our breed great can be lost in one generation."  No amount of
  loose lead evaluation is going to bring it back.  Our best GSDs, IMO,
  can be close to the Standard in structure and type and be pretty good
  movers and still lack this rare quality.   I could be wrong.  I have
  gotten many emails from folks who tell me how great their dogs can move.
  On Dec 19, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Bill Basu wrote:

  > Jim,
  > Thank you for the articulate and thoughtful question that you have
  > posed.
  >
  > In my opinion, there are no absolutes with regard to an answers. Are
  > dogs out being exhibited today that do exhibit the correct structure
  > and gait as per the standard and are winning consistently,
  > absolutely.Are there dogs out their that are "foolers" that do not
  > have the correct structure and gait as per the standard and are
  > winning consistently, absolutely.
  >
  > I think the biggest deteminant to finding those dogs that are
  > correct from a gaiting standpoint vs those that are "foolers" is the
  > way these dogs are gaited around the show ring.
  >
  > Give me a judge who truly puts a priority on "loose" lead gaiting as
  > an integral part of their procedure in evaluating a dog and has the
  > fortitude to demand it, no matter what we handlers do, and that
  > judge will enable the ringside to see the difference between a dog
  > that is structure properly and is gaiting properly vs one that is a
  > "fooler".   Now with that being said, this assumes that the judge is
  > knowledeable and has high integrity.
  >
  > If you can imagine a critical mass of judges that put this priority
  > on "loose" lead gaiting then you have a created a movement that will
  > by the very virtue of adherence to this procedure lead to correct
  > dogs also be dogs that are winning. It has a "rolling stone that
  > will gather moss" effect. Winning dogs lead to dogs that are bred to
  > and so on and so on.
  >
  > Without this critical mass of  knowledgeable and high integrity
  > judges who put a priority on "loose" lead gaiting, you now are
  > subject to "handler skill", "Self promotion" and "bandwagon of
  > winners" as Lamar foresaw and now the dog that meets the standard is
  > no longer the priority.
  >
  > I was lucky that when i came up i was under the wing of "old timers"
  > that made this a priority in the way they evaluated the dogs and as
  > such i had the benefit of their teaching and experience. I am afraid
  > that a lot of people in the last 15 yrs that have been introduced to
  > the breed did not have this same advantage.
  >

  > Bill

  End of showgsd-l Digest V1 #245