[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V1 #163 Christine's post

  • From: "Barbara Lee WILLIAMS" <santanagsd1954@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:16:12 -0800

Just a thought... In my personal opinion, I believe Christine's post was 'Right
On!'... The AKC is all Powerful and " The AKC Can Give and the AKC Can Take
Away."
.Something we must all keep in mind...
 Just like they did many years ago when the  GSDCA of Los Angeles , California
was the Host Club for the GSDCA National Specialty... But Because of internal
conflict within that Hosting Club the AKC CANCELED our National Specialty Show
that year.. .. Many of us on the West Coast, some who were not able to travel
out of State  to attend other Nationals, and who had dogs ready to compete for
the Top Awards were left high and dry... as was the rest of the USA... It was
devastating and we all learned a HARD LESSON!!
 Actually, we all know that Double-Handling is CONTROVERSIAL....It can mask a
shy dog with a Savvy Handler and  Owner Working as a Team...Just for starters...
 I had one  experience with an AKC Rep when Judging Shepherds at an All-Breed
Show( Del Valle All-Breed Show..in  California )
 ...Although we were outside in a  large grass ring , so were some of the other
Breeds... It is a real  AKC "No No,"  for any person handling a dog inside the
ring , or anyone outside the ring,  to call the dog  being judged in the ring,
by NAME!  Soon the AKC Rep came into my ring, but stood politely under the
tent by the Judges table and motioned me over to her.. She said, "  There are
people out there calling that dog by name', you must stop all this
Double-Handling and violation of the AKC rules immediately.".
(I had an entry of  86 and the  timing of the Groups , to also consider.).
  I answered her ,'  I have all I can handle judging  these dogs, and I am
controlling  what is going on INSIDE  my ring.. Therefor , with all due
respect, I suggest that you do your Job and control what is going on OUTSIDE my
ring''..
  She gave me a look , thought about it a moment and then went out of the ring
and began confronting the people who were causing the problems..
  Personally, I think they ask too much for Judges to control  events outside
of their  Rings..
I have posted that opinion  and  this experience, before, and that opinion
hasn't changed ...

   But Christine really put it all into perspective when she posted about the
double-handling antics and total ignorance and some lack of concern about the
AKC rules..( by some.)..and the POSSIBLE  REPERCUSSIONS!! She is absolutely
right!!!
 It is Something to Seriously Think About,   "The Power of the AKC"... JMO barb
williams

  #1: From:  <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx<mailto:ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Mr. Gaeta
  #2: From:  <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx<mailto:ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>>
  #3: From: ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx<mailto:ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: New akc rule
  #4: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Christine's post............my comments
  #5: From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: reminder, 2008 dog licenses
  #6: From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: AKC
  #7: From: "Ginger Cleary"
<cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: doubling,etc
  #8: From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx<mailto:DPiagentin@xxxxxxx>
  #9: From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: sex in the bleachers???

  Msg: #1 in digest
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:51:19 -0800
  From:  <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx<mailto:ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>>

  I wrote Mr. Gaeta.=20
  At one point I said that they should have called the cops at the time of th=
  e altercation and he replied with...You are absolutely correct, the police =
  should be called in any case where there are =E2=80=9Chands on.=E2=80=9D  T=
  hat is the quick and sure way to address such issues.=20

  =20
  Rick Haase
  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the World will know pe=
  ace" - Jimi Hendrix

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #2 in digest

  From: ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx<mailto:ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:54:43 EST

  Well I guess it is plain to see what will be coming up on future akc board
  meetings.

  Peter will make a motion to make Double Handling of Any kind  against  AKC
  RULES.I will bet it will have a second and motion passed. Then they  will
come
  to all Specialties and we will lose the sport as we know it.  Suspensions
will
  be dealt out left and right.

  Judi

(http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004<http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004>)

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:00:33 -0500

  Christine - believe me, if I felt violated, I would have the law there
  before the violator could blink twice.

  If you read my post, you would see that I am very much aware that the rest
  of the dog fancy looks down
  on the GSD fancy...I said so.  This is NOT new.  As I also said, a great
  number of those people also
  believe all German Shepherds are crippled.  This includes judges.  This is
  not something that has just
  happened recently, or within the past 20 years...the anti-GSD feeling has
  been around at least since
  the late 60s.

  I don't consider any part of doubling to be a grey area.   Unfortunately, it
  is only the GSD fancy
  that has turned it into a freak show, and this is why it is ignored
  completely in other breeds, and
  perceived, even when it doesn't go on at all, as a mortal sin around the
  Shepherd ring.  Many
  years ago there was a GSD in the group at Westminster, and the entire
  country was buzzing
  about the handler's sister doubling from the first tier of seats...it was on
  television and anyone
  who wasn't blind saw it.  It did NOT interfere with anyone, dog or human,
  but it was talked
  about for years.  That handler, his sister and her husband, are still
  involved in the breed today..
  and each of them is 2nd generation.  So the disdain with which the rest of
  the fancy looks upon
  German Shepherds and Shepherd exhibitors is nothing new...I know it very,
  very well.

  If Laura is correct and Peter Gaeta told her there had been no reports of
  the rep "laying hands"
  on anyone, then he lied...also no surprise to any of us who have had to deal
  with him.

  Yes, the Shepherd world is different from the all breed world...and it has
  been left that way
  by the AKC for years.  No matter what...there is no excuse for the field
  rep's behaviour. None.
  Even the club delegate did not know the correct way to handle a bench show
  hearing, as
  evidenced in Daytona in 2003...that is how out of touch this fancy is with
  the rest of the dog
  world.  Still -- there is no excuse for lying, or for that rep's behaviour.

  The shenanigans that have gone on in the club can give the AKC reason to
  watch how business is
  conducted, and if the powers that be have finally decided to make Shepherd
  exhibitors behave
  better, that's all well and good...but grabbing people, poking, pushing,
  shoving them, all unacceptable.
  Yelling redfaced into their faces is also unacceptable.

  I avoid the New England all breed shows for many reasons, not the least of
  which is the blatant
  pimping of certain dogs handled by a relative of another field rep ... now
  there is more reason to
  stay away, because I will tell you this...if that rep is at any show I do
  and she touches me, there
  will be no complaint from me to the AKC.  I know where to call...and it
  isn't New York or
  Raleigh.

  Peggy

  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:05:59 -0800 (PST)
  From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Cuyahoga country requires all dogs to be registered according to age and sex
each year. The fee is $16 per dog. They don't ask about rabies shots, but it's
required under the Ohi revised code.  I haven't renewed yet, because I want to
send it in for my new guy on the same form.  Thanks for the reminder.

    Denise W.
  ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    I buy a kennel license after I am inspected. I have to show proof of rabies
for every dog and pay a flat fee of $60. They comes between April and June
unnannounced. Each county in Michigan has different rules, but all have to be
double fenced. Ann Doris E wrote: *Here in Douglas County, Nevada, we need to
have a Rabies Tag, and
  cannot get it until proof of rabies shots is given. This is handled by
  the local Animal Control, has a serial number and is a pretty good I.D.
  if the dog is lost. Doris E
  *

  >In a message dated 12/12/2007 11:16:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  >gsdramey@xxxxxxx writes:
  >Hi, I have owned dogs and lived in three different states and even more
  >towns/cities etc. for longer than I wish to admit - BUT - what is a
  >"dog license"? I've never had one, unless you're talking about the
  >little certifacate paper the Vet gives you when your dog gets a rabies shot.
  >

  >No, dog licenses are different. Some locations require them; little tag
  >etc., and if a dog goes missing and is picked up, they can be identified by
the
  ># on the tag. Mine don't wear the tag, because they don't usually wear
  >collars, but I'm required to have them licenses none the less. (We also have
  >fishing licenses, hunting licenses...)
  >
  >Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
  >Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
  >
  >visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds<http://www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds>

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  Ann Home of Sel # 6 Ch Maxwell, Sel Ex Ch Gilley and #1 Dam Muggles -
owner/breeder of 64 champions and 19 ROMs

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  http://sabianshepherds.tripod.com<http://sabianshepherds.tripod.com/>
  it's only the begining; just wait and see

  ---------------------------------
  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it
now.

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #6 in digest
  From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:07:24 -0500

  In saying this please do not think I agree with that Rep but we are playing
in AKC game and have to play by their rules or they will throw us out of the
game, no night time specialties.
  JMO
  Lee Brown
  **********************
  I agree, Lee.  Also i have heard that the Fitchburg rep is the relative
(daughter maybe) of a beloved all breed handler.  Translation:  The rep walks
on water and can do no wrong.
  Penny

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #7 in digest
  From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:07:02 -0500

  So, I have a question.... rhetorical I guess, LOL

  For all those that blame the GSDCA and GSD owners for the reps bad behavior
  and feel we should become 'invisible'... so, we won't see any of you
  doubling in the future.. right?

   Ginger Cleary,Rome, GA  ww.rihadin.com
<http://www.rihadin.com<http://www.rihadin.com/>>
  The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human
  hands, will ever be liable to abuse. - James Madison
  Member GSDCA
  Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
  GA Director Responsible Dog Owners of the Eastern States.

  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
  11:29 AM

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #8 in digest
  From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx<mailto:DPiagentin@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:15:32 EST

  Dear Peggy,

   thanks for putting this rep episode in perspective you have said it  all and
  in a very nice way, what we are all excited about in the putting of  hands on
  us as exhibitors and you are right that is the  point.

  No One has the right to put their hands on you, the scenerio at  a dog show
  is that we are all intent on showing our dog, making sure he is posed
  properly, waiting to see what our handler needs from us, so when a rep comes
up  to us
  and gives us a shove,or grabs us, we are not thinking straight,  usually we
  apologize, what this has brought to our attention is "hey wait a  minute,
there
  are no rules against doubling handling, and you have no right to  touch me",
  at that point we can call the chairman of the show and bring together  a
bench
  show committee, and the report is made right there and then, if it is  not
  settled then the police are called.  What this incident has done for us  as
  exhibitors is now we know our rights, we have been given power.

  One more thought "doubling is part of our breed," and the AKC  needs to go to
  Germany and see the Sieger show.

  Diane P

  Peggy's response"

  Very well written...BUT ---and that's a big but.
  Yes, for years the rest  of the dog fancy has complained about the excessive
  (and for the most part,  stupid) doubling...the cowbells,
  the running like lunatics around the ring,  knocking people over and all
  that..and you will never convince me that all of  a sudden the
  AKC has decided to do something about it.  I've been to too  many dog shows
  for too many years to believe that.  Of course,  those
  same people lwho scream about our doubling also think all our dogs  are
  crippled...do you believe that, too?
  As far as the CLUB being  scrutinized because of things that happened during
  the past year, yes indeed,  I think the AKC may
  be paying a lot more attention to what we do as a  club.  That has not one
  thing to do with how exhibitors behave at  shows...
  and even if it did, there is NOTHING that would allow a field rep to  commit
  assault and battery on exhibitors.

  Perhaps many GSD exhibitors  who are not exposed to too many all breed shows,
  or who haven't much  experience dealing
  with field reps, particularly with Peter Gaeta, really  don't understand the
  situation here.

  Let me point out...there is no  rule against double handling.  The entire
  responsibility for controlling  that rests with the judge...
  nowhere is it written that it can't be  done.  Therefore, if the rep chooses
  to spend his or her time stopping  it, that is a matter
  of choice.  But that's all it is.  There ARE  rules against dying, colouring
  noses, etc., and the reps, including this one,  ignore
  that those rules are broken at EVERY dog show.  No rep bothers  trying to
  enforce that, and that IS a rule.

  The rep's duties are to  help...help the club if there's a problem, help
  judges if they need it, and  answer questions about AKC policies
  and procedures.  NOT to interfere  with judges, which includes going into the
  ring while judging is going  on.  NOT to spend a day
  or a weekend harrassing exhibitors for perceived  misbehaviours.

  I have no doubt that some people doubled and made noise or  did other things
  that may have been disruptive.  .Susie W admitted  that
  there was noise at the Friday morning specialty.  May I point out  also that
  the real harrassment began later in the day?  NOT on
  Friday  morning?

  Finally, it does not matter whether there was double handling,  shouting,
  rule-breaking, or sex in the bleachers...there is absolutely
  NO  EXCUSE AT ALL for an AKC Executive Field Rep to lay hands on anyone.
  THAT is  the problem as I see it, NOT whether
  anyone misbehaved, or whether the AKC is  watching us more than another breed
  club.  Why on earth would anyone  think such
  behaviour by a field rep should be condoned?       Do you think it
  didn't happen?  Are you saying  these people dreamed it?  Or do you think
  it is OK for a field rep (or  anyone else) to grab, poke, push, shove, or in
  any way make physical contact  with an exhibitor?

  Peggy

  Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:15:54 -0800 (PST)
  From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Bet that show will draw a major!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...lol....FB

  End of showgsd-l Digest V1 #163