[ SHOWGSD-L ] re - mega

  • From: "Lonna Fisher" <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showdogs" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:48:02 -0600

Hi Alycia,
               I was sorry to hear a friend  of yours has mega in her first
litter,  it is a true heartbreak and after having several affected puppies from
different litters, I have learnt one thing, you can have affected pups/adults
with AND without symptoms, the ONLY way to tell if any dog has mega is a barium
x-ray, all my puppies are done at 5 to 6 weeks and any affected pups are put to
sleep, yes I know you can raise them and some will respond to feeding upright,
small meals etc but for me as a breeder it is something I will not keep or pass
on to a pet person. In my last litters I very rarely had any affected pups, all
breeding stock is barium x-rayed.
I haven't had a litter in several years but now have two female pups that I
brought up from CA, and yes these two will be barium x-rayed when they go in
for their prelim hip/elbow x-rays, if they are affected with mega than they
will be put down, with out doing the x-rays.
If all checks out okay than they will be bred to a male of my breeding that
comes from barium x-rayed clear parents.
Did your friend barium x-ray those little guys yet?  She also might want to
barium x-ray the mom, even if she is being spayed,  just so she knows wether
the mom is affected.

Oh and if she has x-rayed clear pups than there may be a chance that something
good can come of this very sad time, as I have used x-rayed clear pups for
breeding and they have produced no more mega than the average healthy dog
............... the rare one here and there ................ also no bloodline
is clear, any bloodline can and will occ./rarely produce mega, just like any
other problem our breed is affected with, even with all the testing I do, my
line is no different, I still can get it, ........................... as
breeders we all know it can happen.

In my dealings with mega I did have one pup (that I did place with a friend of
my vet),  he ate everything, big healthy boy, no vomiting, no chocking, no
funny sounds in his throat, the vet and I were shocked to discover he had mega,
a severe case, but his pouch .............. (simply put mega is an opening or
pounch in the esophagus) .................. was above  his stomach, unusual but
it also prevented him from showing any symptoms, the closer the "fault" is to
the lungs usually means more symptoms. My vet re- x-rayed him at a latter date
to see if it had gone away, but no the pouch was still there and the dog was
still healthy, neutered and living in a pet home.

And I also admit that my dogs are hip/elbow x-rayed clear, barium x-rayed
clear, a regular vet check is done on all puppies, but unless I see another
problem I do not do any other screening tests, I really don't think there is a
breeder out there that checks for every single thing that their beloved breed
can get, we all must pick our "battles" so to speak and try to do the best we
can.

If your friend wishes to contact me, please pass on my email adress.

Here is hoping that something good can come of this.

Take care,
Lonna

Lonna Fisher
Sunflower Reg'd GSD