[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re; Senior GSD needs SAVED - warning, this will tick some p...

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:24:40 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/06 12:38:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Welcome to the world of "rescue" Vicki.  I have run across this attitude WAY
> to often of late.  To many will not take ANYTHING they do not fell is EASILY
> adoptable (and for a good size "fee" at that).  My sincere

ginger -

i am responding to this post publicly because it is SO important that people
know what is really going on with rescues.

PLEASE do not cirticize those who are at least trying to help.  "easily"
adoptable?  "good size" fee?  you need to get more facts.  Yesterday, we
(mississippi valley german shepherd dog rescue) had 3 dogs in surgery at 3
different
vets.  only one was a neuter - the other 2 were having surgery to try and heal
or correct owner-inflicted injuries.  it was about a $2000 medical day for us.
this isn't taking in the cost of transporting these dogs to our foster homes
from wherever they were - many times 300-500 miles - do the math at
$3.00/gallon of gas.  we took in 6 new dogs this week - one from 1200 miles
away - they
all needed vetting, all will need to be spayed/neutered and some will need to
be treated for heartworm.  one is facing major orthopedic surgery at the
university of wisconsin because her breeder neglected to provide her with
medical
care when she was injured "as a baby" - she is now all of 14 weeks old.  all
this aside, there is then the work of posting these dogs, taking applications,
doing home visits and checking references - all PRIOR to adoption.  it takes
time, money and is more emotionally draining than you can ever imagine.  then,
when all is said and done, we ask for the HUGE adoption fee of $200, less if
the dog is a senior.

the attitude you have expressed in your post is insulting and extremely
detrimental to those who are trying to do good.  for every dog we do rescue and
rehome , we know full well there are 100 we couldn't.  it's heartbreaking.  in
between dealing with the dogs and their problems, we have to raise money and do
events - it is time consuming and all out of pocket.  do you think the vets
help us?  guess again.  a handful do discount some procedures - most do not.

i was so impressed and so touched by the number of people on this list who
responded to saydee's plight - i can't thank you all enough - please continue
help these dogs.  ginger, i am saddened at your post and only hope that it
hasne't been detrimental to the rescuing of abandoned and abused german
shepherds.
diane - proud and broke foster for and board member of Mississippi Valley
German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Silstra German Shepherds
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras