[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: prenatal care

  • From: Kim McNamara <klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:20:15 -0400

It will be interesting to see the responses!  I don't do much at all.
Regular diet until pregnancy confirmed, then gradually moved from their
regular food (Kirkland Lamb&Rice) to a higher nutrition diet (Purina Pro
Plan Performance).  Then gradually increase the amount in the last 3 weeks
so by the last week they are getting double what they normally get.  When
whelping starts, I put a pot of water and calves liver on the stove to
slowly cook - give her "liver juice" when she's in between puppies.  My
last 4 litters have been whelped quickly and easily, and knock wood - no
stillborns.  Oh, I usually give Super EPA fish oil caps too during the weeks
leading up to whelping, but I forgot last time.  Almost forgot this time too
- good thing this subject came up! LOL  Next puppies are due in 2 weeks.
:-)
Kim

--
We have puppies!  http://kimberliteshepherds.googlepages.com/