[ SHOWGSD-L ] not just pet breeding under attack

  • From: "Anja Heibloem-Stroud" <Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsdlistnew" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:30:21 -0800

  Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:41:48 -0000
   From: "snugbunrabbitry" <snugbunrabbitry@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: National Animal Identification System
I recognize that the NAIS is not breed-specific legislation in and
of itself, but it is an extremely important issue at this point in
time and I thought I would share it with the group.

Greetings, everyone.

I am writing in order to share with you some information about the
National Animal Identification System, or NAIS. The government-
backed NAIS is a plan to monitor and track the majority of our
country's domesticated animals. At this point in time, cats, dogs,
and household pet birds and rodents do not seem to be affected - but
all of the others do. They wish to monitor and track sheep, goats,
donkeys, rabbits, deer, alpacas, pigs, chickens, and other varieties
of poultry, and that's just a start.

This is a terrible breach of privacy, requiring that one not only
register their animals with the government, but also their location,
down to a nifty little GPS position. There is talk of tagging or
microchipping the animals, as well. At this point in time,
participation is optional - and free - but they are slating January
2008 as the start date for when it becomes mandatory. They will also
be implementing a cost, and hefty fines for failing to comply.

This does not just apply to the commercial raisers of these animals,
but those who raise them for hobby and home consumption, as well as
those who keep them as pets. To the government, it doesn't matter if
you've got 10,000 chickens, or one pony - you must be regulated.
There is an excellent article pertaining to just what the NAIS
entails, at
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0511/S00146.htm - it sums it up
quite well.

We still have time to fight this legislation, and fight it we must.
There is a grassroots movement that has just recently been started,
and you can visit the forum at
http://stopanimalid.org/forum/index.php - we are currently in the
process of organizing volunteers to help create flyer designs that
can be posted on the website in order for everyone to distribute
them to feed stores and other locales, as well as a gathering of
information and suggestions for writing to local, state, and federal
officials. A good form letter for this purpose can also be found at
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=102231 - it is a
good basis for starting your own letter. Feel free to add points
that are relevant to your situation, or simply to address your
concerns.

In order to defeat this legislation - or at least create an
exemption for the small farmer, hobby breeder, and pet owner - we
need to work fast. We need every hand and word that we can get. We
need YOU.

-Hannah (username HSherlock at the forum)
SnugBun Rabbitry (French Lops and Harlequins)
Lake Effect Rattery

Anja Heibloem-Stroud
www.pet-net.net/hausmekon/