[ SHOWGSD-L ] new people to the breed

  • From: "Barbara Neiman" <sweetness@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:05:08 -0800

I've been reading a lot of the posts recently and I want to encourage
breeders to please recommend a club in their area for people to join. It
doesn't matter if your shepherd is going to be your family pet or eventually
you are going to show it in Conformation, Obedience or Rally. It is very
helpful to know other people locally who you can call when there is a
problem and the breeder is not always available or wants to be called with
every question a buyer might have.

Years ago we bought our first two shepherds (Cheyenne and Blackjack) from a
man who trained dogs for the movies. We took our dogs to one of the local
trainers and that helped us a lot. We took Cheyenne to a show in North
Hollywood and it might have been a Show-N-Go as we could enter her that day.
One of the members bad-mouthed her so we left. Told us to come back when we
had a good show dog, rather than explain to us what to look for in a
shepherd and tell us about their dog club. I think it took us more than 30
years to get involved in a club. After a bad experience with a backyard
breeder and losing that dog (Casey Jones) at an early age, my husband did a
lot of research and found Tedi Ginsburg. We proceeded to buy our next
shepherd (Bandit) from Pat Smith. After we lost Bandit my husband did more
research and we bought Elwood from a local breeder who was involved with the
GSDCSGV but never told us about the club. Approximately a year later we
decided to add another shepherd to our family. Shirley Indelicato was
judging Obedience and while we were there we came across Al and Joanna Rand
and fell in love with a little girl (Sweetness) they had. We met with them
at their house and they encouraged us to check out the SGV club. We became
members and we have so many friends in that club. If we had any problems
with the two shepherds all I had to do was pick up the phone and we always
got answers. After we lost Elwood I was hesitant to bring another shepherd
into our house as Sweetness was getting on in age. One of our members had a
litter available and we ended up with Phoenix. Sweetness, along with the
others, has crossed the bridge and Phoenix is now 6 years old and still acts
like a puppy. I am forever grateful to Gordon and Sally Merry for breeding
for temperament. I couldn't have asked for a better shepherd at this time in
our life.

Barbara