[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: lack of movement

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Danannkennel@xxxxxxx" <Danannkennel@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:22:41 -0600

I take getting out of dogs as meaning..getting out of dogs..not at
shows..not on the List..not judging..and most of all not trying to
discourage people from the being interested in the sport. Now one can be
part of the problem..or part of the solution..I read posts from  breeders
who have been actively breeding..or are still actively breeding...they
complain about costs of handlers. traveling, etc..I know one that stand s
out in my mind..that is always complaining about something...bad dogs..cost
of handling...yet they sold enough puppies to put them in a higher tax
bracket....and yet they complain about the costs???  Several "experienced"
breeders again complain..there is no movement..no good dogs..just
slugs..well, then go breed a good one.what's stopping you?.if a person has
been in this game for 30 years..they should have at their disposal the
knowledge of the breed and experience to be able to do that..again..not
only will you breed a good one..but one who costs very little to finish. As
I stated earlier...2500.00 will give you about 15-16 shows..yes if you want
to go with the dog..it may cost more..if you want to board the dog for
6mos..that will cost about an additional 1800.00 or so for 6mos. If you
have a good one..it can finish in 15-16 shows..if you have a good
relationship with your handler..and you don't jump from handler to
handler..every time you don't feel like you are the "priority"( to me you
have to earn the right to be considered a priority)..then you can developed
a rapport with the handler..and most will allow you to make payments..also
if you have a really good one..handlers will encourage others to breed to
the dog..also helping to curb the costs. In the past I too have complained
about escalating costs...but this past National..I came away with a
different perspective.. I watched Bart and Cindy ex dogs early in the
morning...and late at night...giving each time to have "play" time
outside...instead of sitting back and letting them do all the work..we
helped..walking dogs back and forth to the van..passing out food bowls..and
taking care of our own dogs..even the ones they transported for
us...whatever it took to make the job easier for everyone. all of this work
behind the scenes is rolled up into the cost of handling..Again..showing a
really good dog...showing the dog when he is ready to be shown...developing
a rapport with your handler...can all be cost effective...you should be
able to finish for about 2500 plus 6mos of board..or your own travel
expenses. Or you can spend 5000-6000 showing a dog in 30 shows..who really
shouldn't even be shown...again..you can be part of the solution..or part
of the problem. C.Grainger