[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: kidney failure

  • From: "TRAFALGAR" <TRAFALGARgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:33:48 -0400

There is an article in the August 2006 issue of "Dogs in Review"  Heath
Matters : Congenital Kidney Disease by Debra M Eldredge, DVM  .

Its not an article I would go out of my way to find, but some information
referenced included the statement that  the genetic risk factor for early
kidney disease /failure  is known to exist in over 30 breeds  ( breeds not
identified) ; that there are genetic markers identified for certain breeds;
often  the disease demonstrates  itself in young dogs 2-3 yrs of age.but it
can show itself in pups and based on the article, one can infer that we will
see more of this disease showing itself in more dogs under 1yr of
age.article goes on to discuss symptoms, treatment options etc to extend the
life of the animal.

Mike

TRAFALGAR German Shepherds

 Michael & Susan Cheeks

 TRAFALGARgsds@xxxxxxxxx

610-827-1833

            #1:       From:  <mailto:PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx> PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx

                       Subject: Re: kidney failure

Msg: #1 in digest

From: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:11:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2006 10:27:05 AM Central Standard Time,
<mailto:vhvgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> vhvgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

here is a new one for you, anyone ever hear of juvenile renal failure- pup
is

14 months old, just spent 4 days in an emergency animal hospital, has been
released on daily iv fluids, low protein diet....any suggestions any imput
would be greatly

yes I've heard of this...eventually the dog was euthanized..hope this pup
comes through it okay.

Patty Szymczak