[ SHOWGSD-L ] kenneled or not and bloat

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:46:36 -0800 (PST)

In my experience being in the house as much as is possible helps with bonding
and making the dogs gererally happy about life, themselves, and socialization.
But, if you cannot see that they get plenty of excercise they do not make good
show dogs. Living with me does not make a well conditioned dog.

  I send my dogs out for conditioning and, for lack of local majors and good
handlers enough for everyone, I left Liddy out, hoping for the majors.  Timing
is everything.....

  Kit will be living with the Stiefferman's who are kind enough to take him and
give him plenty of both house and kennel time so he can get in condition for
the ring.  I expect he will also adjust well to their overall life and the
horses, as he is a very flexable dog.  They tell me Liddy has taken to their
lifestyle quite well and has even made a girl friend, something she refused to
do with me.

  If I could get my dogs the space to run and the time to run them, I would
only send them out for shows and would probably just take them no matter where.
 But I have no such space and I am not given to long walks these days.  So Kit
looks like a pet and will for a bit yet.  But when he does get in the ring,
look out!

  Dexter has been a pet all his life.  He does not have the structure for much
else, but we love him very much.

  I would be interested to hear more about conditions of dogs when they have
bloated.  Were they out of shape after having been condiditoned for show but
are now retired?  Are they being actively shown and conditioned?  I worry that
many people do not want to admit that their stud was tacked.  I have heard
rumors about Liddy and Kit's sire having been tacked prior to the breeding, but
I will not swear to this or call it more than scuttle-butt.  If he was tacked,
I would think that anyone considering using him deserves to know this.  If
Barbara Hammond knew, no one else will ever know, G-d rest her soul.

  But I worry about over activity and under activity.  I worry about general
health and my dogs' abilities to do the job they are designed for.  I also
bless their presence in my life.  They make sure I know everything my neighbors
are doing and keep the cats on their toes.  No one who comes in can leave
without hair and slobber, and no one ever come in uninvited.

  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training