[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: kennel cough

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:14:47 -0800

Sounds like influenza, canine type.  We rescued a bitch earlier this year,
thought she had bordatella, nope ..it was canine influenza, with the nasty
wet cough, the "snots" everything, it morphed into pnuemonia....we were
livid.  The animal control people inisisted on spaying and vaccinating this
bitch while sick.....doxy or tetracycline will help if you have secondary
pnuemonia going on.  QUARANTINE ANY ANIMAL WITH THE SNOTS AND A WET COUGH.
Disinfect shoes, change clothes.  This influenza is very contagious. Wash
buckets , bowls, leashes , collars , bedding in quaternary ammonia, or
bleach ....every day.   Use a good surgical scrub on your hands, better
still, wear latex disposable gloves.
As far as Bordatella, they can get it more than once.  Also even if you
vaccinate annually it may not be enough if your dogs are at risk (shows,
boarding) every six months is better.  Bordatella does not have a long
titer, like some vaccines.
Kathy Tank