[ SHOWGSD-L ] interesting

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:55:15 EDT

the following was on one of aol's news blurbs today -  interesting.
diane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_Skatiebug'z_ (http://skatiebugz.shutterfly.com/)  The online store for
everything German Shepherd and then some!
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)
Skater's Blog
_Labradoodle Creator Has Massive Regrets Over  the Craze He Started_
(http://www.pawnation.com/2010/05/06/labradoodle-creator-has-massive-regrets-over-t
he-craze-he-starte/)

by _Josh Loposer_ (http://www.pawnation.com/bloggers/josh-loposer/)
(_Subscribe to  Josh Loposer's posts_
(http://www.pawnation.com/bloggers/josh-loposer/rss.xml) )
May 6th 2010 @ 3:00PM Filed Under: _Dogs_
(http://www.pawnation.com/category/dogs/) , _Pets News_
(http://www.pawnation.com/category/pets-news/)

 (javascript:void(0);)
Is your mixed-breed a mistake of monumental proportions,  or the crowning
achievement of thousands of years of thoughtful selective  breeding?

Despite millions of labradoodle owners across the planet who  are convinced
their pups are the greatest thing since sliced bread, the man  credited
with pioneering the breed has massive regrets about his involvement in  the
"oodle" craze.

"I don't regret the dog, not for the purpose I bred it  for," Wally Conron
tells Paw Nation, "I regret all the people who got on the  bandwagon
willy-nilly. People who are breeding poodle crosses for the money, who  have no
concern for parentage."

How was Conron to know that by crossing  one of his kennel's best Labs with
a standard poodle, he would unwittingly spark  an international trend that
would spawn the schnoodle, the groodle, the roodle  and countless other
similar designer breeds?

In 1988, service-dog trainer  Conron received a letter from a woman in
Hawaii who needed a seeing-eye dog that  wouldn't shed, because her husband was
highly allergic. At that time, no one had  ever bred a Labrador retriever
with an allergy-friendly standard poodle, at  least not on purpose.

Now, only 22 years later, labradoodles have their  own _Facebook pages_
(http://www.facebook.com/bocker) .  Labradoodle enthusiasts, along with other
groups of "oodle" owners, are even  vying to have the breed recognized as an
official breed by the Kennel  Council.

So why is Conron so ashamed of his own creation? Like  many others, he
feels that the labradoodle trend started a gold rush for  unscrupulous backyard
breeders with no knowledge of proper dog  breeding.

"One of our litters had 10 pups in it and only three were  actually
allergy-free," says Conron. "Let's face it: they're a crossbreed. You  never
know
what you're going to get. It's a bit like buying a pig in a poke, yet  people
all over are charging more for labradoodles than purebreds."

Two  years ago, it was even rumored that President Obama was considering
bringing a  labradoodle home to the White House. (Of course, he chose a
_Portuguese water dog_
(http://www.pawnation.com/2010/04/14/bo-obamas-first-year-in-the-white-house/)
instead). "I actually wrote him a letter  that said to
be careful and check the parents," Conron explains. "I never heard  back."

On the other side of the controversy, Dixie Moore of the _Australian
Labradoodle  Association of America_ (http://www.ilainc.com/index.html)
believes
that the wild-west days of the oodle craze  are now behind us.

"Ten years ago, I might have said that it is taking  off too fast.
Fortunately for the breed, many breeders focus on health and  temperament,
which, in
addition to being allergy-friendly, are the hallmarks of  the breed," says
Moore. "I think the backyard breeders quickly find that there  is little
demand for their dogs. Puppy mills are, of course, a problem for  almost all
breeds."