[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: help with idiopathic vestibular syndrome

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sharon Birch & Stuart <sbirch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:01:07 -0800

This happens mostly with older dogs, Sharon.  Vestibular disease
(google it).  I learned that with Dancer, thinking she was having a
stroke, and sent my son (I was in CO) to the ER.  By the time he got
there, she was recovering.  It happened one more time, and Kurt just
put her on the couch next to him, covered her eyes (to stop the world
going around, I guess) and in a few hours, she recovered.  But a
little wobbly for a couple of days.

I've heard that Dancer's equilibrium was mild and others can take more
days to recover.  Evidently it's an inner ear thing, and it happens
more often with dogs who have had more frequent ear infections (which
Dancer had).

Hopefully, this is what you old boy has... it sounds like it.

Storm