[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: heart murmur in puppy--HELP !!

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:02:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2005 8:11:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
I know  that heart murmurs in young puppies are sort of common and NORMALLY
are  not a big deal and they go away within a couple months.
Any more info I can  give these people about this??  I am thinking their vet
made a real  big deal of it.  I talked to my vet just now and he said he
usually
he dosent pay much attention to them at this age and they usually go away
and
he wouldnt be upset about it.  He also said he knew of a vet who  did a
complete cardiac workup on an 8 week old  puppy with a murmur  and 2 weeks
later it
was gone and the pup was fine.
Dont get me  wrong--I know anything can happen and I guess a heart murmur
COULD be a  problem--but in general I think they mostly go away.
Just needed some more  ammunition to tell these people not to worry.  My vet
said I could  give them his phone # and he will talk to them

Cheri,

Did you have the puppy vet checked before you sold him?

There are different grades and causes of heart murmurs.  On occasion,  there
CAN be something vets refer to as a "flow murmur", but I don't think I'd  call
it common; "they" think, caused probably by either a large growth spurt, or
an infestation of round worms (changes blood viscosity), and as the blood goes
 through the heart, there is a rushing sound.  These go away.

IF you had your pup vet checked before he left, YOUR vet might have a leg  to
stand on during a phone conversation.  If not, he could speak in
generalities, but not specifically about that puppy. (And what good does that
do  a
family who is upset?) "Flow murmurs" are the tip of the iceberg, though, and
it's
possible the pup does have a murmur, or a septal defect or a whole host of
other things.  These things don't go away. It's also possible, if your pup  was
examined before leaving, your vet missed it.

Take the pup back and refund the money. (And if not, get ready for a  bigger
mess - check your puppy lemon law; you already have a vet w/ a diagnosis  of a
murmur.)  It sounds like these folks are upset (understandably).   An EKG to
get an accurate diagnosis will run them over four figures.  I  doubt they'll
want to keep the pup and "wait and see", running the risk of  growing more
attached.

With any luck, you'll grow him out a bit, get him reexamined and he'll be
fine.  Good luck!

(OH, and if you're not already doing so, have your pups checked before they
leave AND HAVE A HEALTH CERT FROM YOUR VET IN WRITING.  It's unusual for  one
vet to contradict another, and if your vet stated in writing they found
nothing, this new vet might not be so quick to make an issue and figuring there

was nothing there before, he might have toned down a bit.  You can't blame  him
though.  When I want a dog checked, I want it checked.)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_