[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: guide dogs

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:58:20 -0600

I had a set of animal encyclopedias many years ago - 16 volumes (burned in
my house fire)
I devoured the info about dogs especially.  Something that was most
interesting was on that
very subject.  It referred to easy training, devotion, loyalty etc.
However, what you mention
below is something seemingly uncanny about our breed.  It cited the smarts
of the Poodle &
the Golden & Lab but these 3 breeds plus others mentioned, are so loyal and
devoted they'll
rarely deviate from their training, where it has been proven many times a
GSD will when the
person under their care is in some kind of danger and has no idea but the
dog balks at their
orders -- thus, often saving the life of the person.  Why they'll not be
used any longer is not
a good idea in my book.    Some of mine have been service dogs for
handicapped as well
as the blind etc., but, yes I remember the organizations did start to breed
their own way
back there.         Sad if this is true.       Norma no L