[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: first pitbulls, now sighthounds...will herding dogs be next?

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx, Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:44:18 -0800 (PST)

While I would never even consider using prey as a training technique, I do
believe that the over population of rabbits and deer is a huge problem in this
country.  All the wolves and other predators are gone or kept in small areas
where they cannot endanger human maintained livestock, the biggest concern.  We
need dog sport to control populations of wild herbivores

  Using prey is indeed worse than using food to gain a dog's attention.  Love
is the only thing that works no matter what.  I do not keep bunnies in my
pocket, ever, and I don't keep treats either.

  I am all for coursing, it is the reason the certain breeds of dogs exist.
But I also believe that this along with attacking behavior is controllable, if
the human knows what they are doing.

  I am very sorry to hear that children have been endangered by using live bait
for basic training.  This sickens me.  Live bait is only for specific killing
and in specific circumstances.

  I was fortunate enough to spend time with GSD's trained to attack on command
in my youth.  With one exception, they were loving playful dogs until the
command was given.  Without the command to guard or attach, there simply was no
danger.  The one exception was never allowed to think for himself. EVER.

  I grew up with several dogs whose desire to bite was obvious.  They were
worked with until this desire was turned off as much as possible.  We never
turned our backs on them in any situation that might set them off.  We took and
still take responsibility for our dogs' actions.

  I am opposed to most legislation that regulates what we do with our dogs.  I
am also more opposed to people keeping loaded guns, and dogs, in their homes if
they do not understand what they have.

  I have advised clients, more than I like, to destroy dogs they have because
the dogs were not in control and the people involved showed no desire or
ability to control animals that were clearly a danger to the public and the
very families they lived with.

  Training, the right kind of training is the only thing that stands between us
and anarchy.  Both with dogs and humans.  We must raise our children to respect
life, human and animal.  We must raise our dogs to respect the pack.
  Sheila
  =====================
From: Peggy

Date: Wed Feb 08 09:54:13 CST 2006
To: showgsd
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] first pitbulls, now sighthounds...will herding dogs be
next?

This is an ABC story about a group of sighthound owners who were
participating in Open Field Coursing of rabbits. No matter how much you
like sweet little bunnies, please keep in mind that an overabundance of
rabbits can destroy a farmer's crop and they need to be regulated as we
would with any animal that can be a nuisance. As an example: the many
deer that overrun some communities causing thousands in property damage
to cars and fields not to mention the occasional loss of life from a car
wreck.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1586602&page=3

The coursing idiocy has made the national ABC web site.

There is a poll that you can link on this page where they are asking if
coursing should be banned. It pops up if you click on the question on
the left side about banning the sport. Those who don't want it banned
are highly outnumbered. If for no other reason than sheer bloody
mindedness, why not hit the link and vote FOR Open Field COURSING!!
Won't do much good except to confuse the hell out of those who figure
that the AR bunch will have a slam dunk here. This is the first step to
take sighthounds down the path of "pit bull" bans, in my opinion.
The next step could be to prevent herding dogs from harassing sheep.
POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

The No's outweight the yes's. It 66.8% for no.

Kris Kudel
Vom Kristallaugen GSD
Now selling Canidae & Felidae!! Visit http://mysite.verizon.net/krisbob1/
POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training