[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: doubling "done wrong"

  • From: jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx (Jean Mccann)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:01:08 -0500

    Just mention the term "double handling" and I get heart
palpitations. I always had to send my dogs "away" to be shown,as I have
to stay home,WORK and EARN MONEY for them !  Well,this time,it was a
local show and my very first attempt at this fine art. I was scared to
death,but galloped around and tried as hard as I could (being
near-sighted)to decipher what my handler was trying to convey to me (he
only looked disgusted a few times...that I could SEE,anyway) Well,the
second day my dog was the first in the ring....nobody ever told me I had
to "start" my dog by calling him....I'm way across the ring,squinting at
where I knew the judge and my handler & dog were,and all of a sudden I
see my handler raise his hand. I'm thinking "what is he doing?" Then the
judge raises HIS hand!  I'm starting to get the idea that "something" is
expected of me,when my handler gives up and YELLS "Jean,CALL your dog!!"
(Oooops)                                                      About two
months later,I actually am forced into having to try this again.
"Okay",I think,"I have done this twice now and survived. And maybe I can
even consider myself sort of experienced?" Well,that thought was quickly
dashed as I found myself not once,but  twice,INSIDE the actual ring
trying to double......(I know....don't even try to figure this one
out.....)  This was a 3-day show and I managed to do something bizarre
every single day.  I know my dog was very embarrassed.       (I'm sure
my handler was,too,but he was too nice to say so)   So....if you ever
see someone who seems REALLY double-handling challenged...it's probably
me. Please.....be kind?                         Jean :0