[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: chickens and more

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:50:49 -0400

As a veterinarian, I just want to mention why these practices exist.  It isn't
that veterinarians "endorse" these practices.  These things are considered
acceptable by our society because people want to afford to buy the protein
sources for as cheap as possible-beef, poultry, pork, etc.  The general public
wants to be able to buy food, and provide shelter for their families, which
isn't too much to ask.  A lot of people can't afford these things, let alone
afford to feed chicken to their dogs!  Some of us are more privileged than many
Americans.

Veterinarians make up a very small portion of the population-please remember
there are only 28 veterinary schools in the entire country, compared to the the
hundreds of medical schools and the thousands and thousands of MDs (over
800,000).  And just think how much say the MDs have in the health care system
and reforms.  Veterinarians are only a small group of people (around 75,000)
and the political lobbyists that work for the AVMA facing the pork/beef/poultry
industry (take your pick) could be compared to the breeders in this country
taking on HSUS or PETA and their lobbyists.  The amount of money, advertising
and political backing that exists for these large organizations far outweighs
what a small group of individuals can do.  Are some of these practices less
than ideal-yes, but until Americans change their ideals of what is acceptable
and their willingness to pay for food, the system won't change.  If the dairy
farmers were able to set the price of a gallon of milk to what it actually cost
to produce a gallon of milk, most of us wouldn't be drinking the stuff.

Also, just FYI "organic" "hormone free" and "antibiotic free" are not regulated
by any agency and these labels can be placed on packages without any mandatory
testing or quality standards or requirements for the label.  Its about as well
controlled as supplements-vitamins and minerals which all lack any type of FDA
approval or medical trials before being sold to the general public.  There is
no regulatory facility that mandates what is inside these supplements and there
is a wide discrepancy between what is on the label and what is inside the
package.

Just some food for thought,

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds