[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: boycott shows in that area

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:27:46 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2007 10:49:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Boycotting is not the way to go.
Showing AKC we can be good citizens  is the way to go.
If they take away our abilities to hold evening  shows,
or our same day specialties........we are all going to be up
sh-t  creek without a paddle !!!   And when I say all i mean
all.........this
will NOT be good news for our clubs who so desperately  need this and you all
will be forced to either show at all breeds or find  a new hobby......
I personally know many clubs that are still in existance  because AKC gave us
the means to be, we couldn't exist without the  clusters and the evening
specialties and the same day specialties that  draw the entries in.

Amy is ABSOLUTELY correct on this one. We have too high a profile  with AKC
now for all the wrong reasons and one Rep's bad behavior can't be  allowed to
escalate into an all-out war with AKC. Many GSD  specialty clubs had had to
shut down offering any performance venues  because they just couldn't afford to
do it. Allowing us to offer all-breed  obedience and all-breed rally and have
back-to-back specialties and same-days,  etc has been a financial life-saver
for many specialty clubs including ours in  Augusta. We make more money from
the
all breed performance exhibitors than from  the specialty show portion itself
which allows us to continue to put on a decent  show at a nice location and
offer a few amenities.
AKC is not our enemy.
We need to address the specific issue of this specific Rep and this  specific
incident through the proper channels and we all need to adhere to the  AKC
rules of conduct when showing in all-breed venues.
We show there frequently. GSD specialty judges judge them frequently. We  all
double if the judge lets us get by with it but you have to be discreet and
your dog has to have several different sounds to pick up on.

And, the less animosity we create, the more consideration we get from these
other clubs in the way of ring size, placement, etc. Our local AB club gives
us  a large, grassy outdoor ring with private parking just for the GSD ring and
our  choice of judge within reason and the AKC rep is 'occupied' elsewhere
while we  show most of the time.
We need to build relationships that benefit us by being conscious of the
different needs of the all-breed venue and following the rules. the rep was
out-of-line. Handle it through proper channels in a low-key manner and
we all come away looking better.
lynda

Falkrigia  Shepherds ....Gene Workman / Lynda Bragg-Workman
_www.falkrigiashepherds.com_ (http://www.falkrigiashepherds.com/)
_www.thecraftywoodchuck.com_ (http://www.thecraftywoodchuck.com/)

Last  Hope, Safe Haven German Shepherd Rescue Coordination-BOD
_http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LASTHOPEforGermanShepherds/_
Old  Fella Burke County Animal Rescue - Training Director
_http://oldfella.org/_ (http://oldfella.org/)