[ SHOWGSD-L ] before the bridge

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

I want to say something about Dexter before he crosses over the rainbow bridge.
 His time is close but I will not want to talk about him after, it will be hard
to see him go.

  He came from Mary DeCoursey, thank you so much, in spring of '98 at 3 months
old.  He was the pick of the litter, but never did come out good enough to
finish.  He did get 2 points at an all breed the weekend of a National.  It was
for fun.  Thank You Jimmy for showing up Sunday in Tampa, 2001, so we did not
have to stay for breed.  Dallas got BIS that day.

  Dexter was to be my obedience show dog.  He HATES shows so much I gave up.
He had to learn heal one little step at a time, not because he was not smart,
on the contrary, he was smart enough to know if he got Heal, I would show him.

  He has been a great travel dog, and gave me freedom I did not have before.  I
will not stay in a hotel by myself without a dog.  He also took great care of
the boys when we traveled together, as we do not sleep together.

  Much to my surprise, he is also a great "grandpa" to the pups.  He took to
raising them as soon as I let him near.

  He has a roach, flat feet, is not angulated enough, but has a head to die
for.  He gets attention everywhere we go.  He has been beyond pleasant but
still sound with strangers.

  Now, for the past year, his rear end has gotten weaker and weaker, he can
barely walk.  I am not one for wheelchairs for dogs, and his front end would
not be up for the task.  So when he can no longer hold himself up to pee or
poop, my head vet tech and I will take care of him here at home, where he is
happiest.  His crossing will be sad, but celebrated.  He outlived his sire but
3 years, and he has had a great life.

  We love our Dexter and will miss him when the time comes.  This is why I tell
you all about him now, as later it will be too hard.  I will announce briefly
his passing, but I will not be able to say so much then, he will be missed.

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.