[ SHOWGSD-L ] article: "Chavez swaps HEART ordinance info with Las Cruces"

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:44:24 -0400

 Ginger Cleary,Rome, GA  ww.rihadin.com <http://www.rihadin.com>
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo
the fatigue of supporting it.  ~Thomas Paine
Member GSDCA
Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
GA Director Responsible Dog Owners of the Eastern States.

New Mexico Business Weekly - 12:43 PM MDT Monday, July 9, 2007

Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez will make a presentation to the Las
Cruces City Council today on the HEART ordinance that was passed
last year.

The Humane and Ethical Animal Rules and Treatment (HEART) ordinance
passed in May 2006 and was designed to reduce Albuquerque's
euthanasia rate among shelter animals. Since its passage, that rate
has been reduced by 9 percent and the number of animals coming into
city shelters has dropped by 10 percent, according to Animal
Protection Voters.

Chavez will explain how the Duke City accomplished this through
partnerships with city and county government and local animal
activists. Heather Greenhood, legislative director with Animal
Protection Voters, will make the presentation with Chavez at 3 p.m.
in the Las Cruces council chambers. The city and Mayor William
Mattiace invited Chavez and Animal Protection Voters to make the
presentation. The council's work session today will be dedicated
entirely to the existing Las Cruces animal ordinance.

Albuquerque is very close to adopting out more pets than it
euthanizes, bringing it very close to the "live-exit" goal set by
Chavez in 2009.

"We want to encourage all New Mexico communities to move to a live-
exit strategy," Chavez said in a prepared statement. "It's the right
thing to do. The way we treat our companion friends defines who we
are as a community."

Greenhood says she hopes Las Cruces will consider adopting similar
measures, especially since it is the second-fastest growing city in
New Mexico.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:32 PM