[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: archives and AOL problems

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <LSelmon@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:51:56 -0500

Linda, I will email the password for the archives to you privately.  If
anyone else needs them, please contact me privately, or the admin =
address,
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx - and please note that the passwords are for the use =
of
each member they are given to ONLY - please do not give them out to =
anyone
else, even other List members.  The List is maintained as a members-only
resource for the protection of its members, so please help us to help =
you.

As many List members are aware, AOL had tech problems last week, over =
the
weekend and the beginning of this week, and bounced the posts of many =
AOL
List members. When List members posts bounce more than three times, our
server sets them to Vacation to stop the bouncing.  As we have been =
hearing
from people, we have been unsetting Vacation, and notifying them =
directly.
I am also seeing that there are people unsetting Vacation themselves, so
hopefully, if the AOL problem is now resolved, they will now start to =
get
List mail.  Since so many List members were affected by this situation, =
mail
volume is quite low at the moment, and many others are in the same boat. =
 =20

There are some AOL people who were not affected, and some who were =
partially
affected.  It is not unusual for some posts to get through while some do
not, and unless you check all the posts you receive against all of those
that were sent (which you can do in the Archives if you want to), there =
is
no way to tell which did and which didn't.
=20
AOL has many servers and nodes around the country.  It is likely that =
they
had problems with some of them, but not all.

Please tell all List members you know who are on AOL if the are not =
getting
List mail to retart their mail.=20

The way to do this is to send email to: showgsd-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With the message:

Unset vacation

The List will undoubtedly take a couple of days to return to normal, =
since
there are still people who don't yet realize something is wrong, or who
don't know how to restart their mail and have not yet contacted us for =
help.
It will help things if you all will spread the word to those you know =
who
are List members.  If anyone needs help, please contact me directly, or =
the
admin address, admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Margery Golant