[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: apology to the List

  • From: Sheree Moses <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:19:02 -0500

Okay, I am late to this party but I have been gone to those awful (VBG) AKC
shows, then came home to do a winter kennel overhaul.  Thought I would catch up
on the List and avoid the freezing rain, lol, and found this instead.

I did my best to give you the best advice I could, and did offer to help you
with your dog individually.  Sorry it was a hectic weekend, we are in a race
with the Beardie for top Herding dog (obviously not all all-breed people are
disgusted by German Shepherds) and it gets a little crazy.  My ex, Jim, did not
mean to hurt your feelings when he said you had your work cut out for you, but
realistically it is harder to finish owner-handled...and blacks are
harder.....and imports even more so. I should know, we have all three:)  He was
trying to be honest, so you wouldn't be disappointed. Steve Roda lives in your
area, and offered to mentor you if you'd like; my fault, I haven't forwarded
his information to you yet.  I understand what you are saying about some AKC
dogs looking freaky, I feel the same way myself.  But the same is true of
German lines.  And yes, they have also changed over the years, depending on
which clique was in power at the SV.  They also have their share of health and
temperament issues.  But we have one breed, and a good one is a good one,
wherever it comes from.  It IS harder to finish German-bred animals in the
American ring, they do tend to look a little different from what the average
AKC all-breed judge is accustomed to seeing, but it is certainly do-able.  One
of my housedogs has been Sieger in the US 3 times, he is a beautiful dog and we
finished his American AKC championship w/out too much difficulty.  His buddy is
my 12 year old, 100 BIS Dallas daughter, Gennie, who is fairly angulated...but
OFA excellent and very functional even at this ripe old age. Probably more so
than Liedo, who is only 8.  And we have MANY dual-titled dogs that I am very
proud of... As I told you at the shows, we also have had many cross-bred
animals who have been very successful in the AKC/CKC show rings....even owner
handled.  Some of it depends on HOW you owner-handle, do you have the dog on a
dead ring and let it have some freedom of motion, or do you have the collar on
choke, up under it's ears, boxer-style, as is taught at many all-breed handling
classes.  I started out just like you, a girl showing her own dogs (and most of
mine at that time were 50/50 German-American), and I finished quite a few, too.
George Alston's handling seminar is great, I took it when I was about your age.
Tell him I said Hi.  I have seen several excellent posts/responses to you, I
hope you can take to heart what they have said to you and not fall into
generalizations (all AKC dogs are spooky cripples).

And a low, 42" table is best, with a 2 speed metro-style dryer. IMHO    Best of
luck, Sheree