[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: age to ween babies

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, "Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx" <Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:57:41 -0800 (PST)

Since Callie has large litters of 12+, I start weaning at 2 1/2 weeks with a
mixture of K9 Puppy Gold (milk replacer mixed with water) Royal Canin Maxi
Starter (a great new product on the market for weaning and starting puppies)
and a little raw hamburger to get their attention.  In the beginning, it is
prepared in a blender to a baby cereal consistency.  Gradually, I increase the
RC Maxi Starter and decrease the Puppy Gold, water, and hamburger.  At 6 weeks,
my current 13 puppies are all on the Maxi Starter softened in a little water.
I let stool consistency guide me in the ratio of water to solid.  When they go
to their homes, they will be on dry Maxi Starter.  If you have not yet checked
out the RC Maxi Starter, you might want to.  I am impressed with it!
Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Home of Multiple Group Winner  GCH RiverRock's Hotel California (Callie) HSAs
RN BN
and her 13 beautiful puppies sired by Welove Du Chien's Captain America (Stevie)