[ SHOWGSD-L ] about that Grand Champion title.....

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:05:31 -0400

I have in my possession several new bits of information from the
AKC...supposedly for the Delegates only, but y'all know I get a lot of that
stuff from my friends.
      Anyway...here, from the "Highlights of the Grand Championship title" page
I just received, are pieces of info that some may have missed earlier.
   (and how they think this is going to increase entries at shows is still
beyond me)

·            All eligible exhibits entered in the Best of Breed class will
compete and judging will be concurrent with traditional Best of Breed judging.

·            Best of Breed, Best of Opposite Sex, Select Dog and Select Bitch
can earn ?Grand Champion?  points at AKC All Breed, Limited Breed or Specialty
events.

·            . A maximum of four dogs may be awarded ?Grand Championship?
points.    .

·            Once an eligible dog or bitch has accumulated 25 ?Grand Champion?
points with three majors under three different judges and at least one point
under a fourth judge, it may be designated ?Grand Champion? and receive an AKC
enhanced certificate indicating they have completed the necessary requirements
for the title.·

·            If the Best of Opposite Sex winner is the Winners Dog or The
Winners Bitch, neither the Best of Opposite Sex nor the Select award for that
sex will be eligible for ?Grand Champion? awards.

·            Any exhibits found to be ineligible for ?Grand Champion? points
would have those points disallowed administratively by the AKC.  If Best of
Breed is found to be ineligible, all Grand Champion points awarded will be
administratively disallowed for Best of Opposite Sex, Select Dog and Select
Bitch.·

·            Winners Dog, Winners Bitch, Best of Winners, or non-regular class
winners, are not eligible to compete for ?Grand Champion? points.

·            There will be no ?Grand Champion? points awarded when all
competing Champions of Record or move-up dogs are defeated by a class dog or
bitch receiving the Best of Breed award.

OK, everybody clear on this, now?  They say they are trying to boost entries
with this........but it seems to me that the 4-months before and after policies
will be likely to have the opposite effect,yes, perhaps more in our breed than
others, but surely the GSD isn't going to be the only breed impacted by the new
4-month policies.

Personally, I think the people at AKC who are dreaming these things up need to
retire and be replaced by people who are involved in dogs as breeders and
exhibitors, rather than people who have "found fame" with their titles.

Peggy