[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whites

  • From: Vicki Roye <vicki.roye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 05:51:57 -0800 (PST)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:28 PM

For the record, the GSDCA was formed to promote the breeding of of GSDs for the
betterment of the breed... Dogs who conform to the written standard for the
breed. I repeat. Dogs who conform to the standard for the breed.
IMHO this means we are the guardians of the breed.

I applaud anyone who trains their dogs to the highest levels. To be awarded HC
at an obedience trial means the dog has a UD and of course a CDX. These are not
easy titles to obtain and an  HC is damned tough. If a white or down eared or
docked tail registered GSD has the highest combined score then by God it should
have that distinction. But to be awarded the highest accolades from a club
dedicated to the standard??? I think NOT. The GSDCA titles are an honor. They
convey tacit approval that the recipient is indeed worthy of breeding and is an
outstanding example of the breed. I strongly object to a dog with a DQ fault
receiving the highest accolades our club can bestow on a GSD. I have no issue
with it winning the AKC award of HC. My beef comes with the parent club saying,
In effect,that this is a superior animal worthy of breeding. These dogs have
always been able to compete in our performance events and they have always been
eligible to receive the
 awards available from the AKC.

I would feel equally outraged if s really wacko spook went GV in the breed
ring. Our breed dogs cannot (or at least should not) win unless they comply
with our standard.

I work dogs in the real world. I would rather work a white, lop eared, dock
tailed dog who could do it's job properly and save lives than work a spooky
breed champion. But I
am not so sure either one of those should be used for breeding the perfect GSD.

The GSDCA should promote and defend the TOTAL DOG.

So to summarize, AKC awards are one thing. But the highest approval ratings
from a club dedicated to upholding breed standards are quite another.