[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whelping problem? Days or temp?

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:27:07 -0500

Maybe I'm just a worrywart.  Ok, I AM a worrywart!  Venus is 60 days pregnant
today.  I started taking her temp last Friday, thinking she would be going up
and down.  She was at 98 Friday night and has stayed at 98 consistently.  My
whelping book says she should deliver within 24-48 hours after the temp
consistently stays at 98.  Should I give it three or four more days, or should
I do something?    I don't know which is more important--the days or the
temp--in determining if there is a problem.  I have called my vet, and he is
trying to get in touch with Dr. Root at the University of Minnesota.  It is
late in the afternoon, so I don't know if that will be possible.  Her water has
not broken, unless it happened when she went out for a pee, but she has shown
other signs of going in labor.  She goes through brief periods of panting and
restlessness.  Then she goes to sleep and nothing happens.  She ate a full meal
this morning but has refused dinner.  She is drinking water okay.  There is no
weird discharge or anything of that nature.  She has not pawed at her bedding
or done other nesting behavior.  She is five years old, and this is her second
litter.  What do you more experienced breeders think?  This is her (and my)
second litter.  Thanks.

Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
RiverRock