[ SHOWGSD-L ] What Is Quality Protein?

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:49:01 -0800

Visit Rivendell on "Da Web" www.diablokp.com

Paul,

What defines quality protein - is it the way the body metabolizes it or what?
Are dogs even able to digest the 10% allowable protein made from feathers,
feet, heads, and beaks?

Gayle & the Hooligans!

Paul opines...

IMO...Quality protein is raw, human grade meat, veggies, and other quality
ingredients (supplements, etc.). If you go to www.diablokp.com and click on
Diablo Products...to the right side of that page is an article I've written on
"feeding raw". If you don't utilize a raw regimen...then quality protein would
be the best ingredient panel you could find...preferably a Human Grade product.
Such a panel would be free from ingredients like CBPM, Digests, or other
ingredients like trans fats and ethoxyquin that we know aren't good for the
dogs.

As for a dogs ability to digest feathers, beaks, or heads...sure they can. A
dogs gut is very different from our own. Some animals...Hyena's
specifically...can and do live off of rotting meat.

Digestion is important but it's more important what you put in the front end.
When it's quality protein and other essential nutritive ingredients...much less
will come out the rear end.

Some time ago I was traveling with a friend. We were walking our dogs on the
same lawn. Her dog dropped a cow pie at least 6" wide. It was a kibble diet and
not formed as you would hope. Maggie pooped out 2 turds that were about 3" or
4" inches long and the diameter of a quarter. My friend looked at those and
said..."Where's the rest of it?"

Doesn't it make sense that the more they utilize their nutrient intake...the
smaller the stools will be? Well it's true. Years ago when I was the N. CA Demo
Co-ordinator for Nutro, they sent me to their own school of nutrtion. Of course
they taught me Nutro-speak or canine nutrition according to Nutro. One of their
points was if you were talking to someone who was feeding a corn based diet,
you could literally guarantee them if they switched to Nutromax their stools
would be reduced by at least 25%...more like 33% and it was true. Corn is the
most difficult grain to digest. I used the analogy that I could always tell the
next morning when I had corn for dinner the night before. Nutromax is chicken
based. Chuckle, chuckle, eh?

No matter what we feed, one of our objectives should be to scoop as little as
possible...for when that occurs...you know your dog has absorbed or utilized
its nutritive intake in the most efficient manner possible. If the stools are
large...it would indicate just the opposite and all that comes out the rear was
not utilized at all.

So if I was making a math analogy on quality it would look like this.

Quality meat source + other Quality ingredients= smaller stools.

JMO...as always

Paul