[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We have puppies!!!!

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:07:11 -0400

Fire Walker
Fire Cracker
Barb H

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
To: Show GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 3 May 2009 2:11 pm
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] We have puppies!!!!

Scorch has not made this easy for us on any level!!! I came home form
babysitting grandkids at midnight to find hubby and Scorch in the whelping
room,
Scorch in early labor. We settled down like campers on the floor with pillows
and pads - prepared to spend the night on the whelping room floor. At 2:30 she
started hard pushing on the first puppy - after 30 minutes I called the vet and
after another 30 minutes we had made the trip to town.
the first puppy was stuck in the canal and in danger of suffocation. manual
extraction was impossible even tough it's not so little nose was "right
there"..
so he did an episiotomy. Getting her sedated was no easy feat - even in her
very
tired condition, she is a fighter and it took double the amount of medication
before he could even attempt to pass the airway. Like I said, NOTHING was going
to be easy!! this procedure  didn't free up the pup either, but it had space to
breath and breathing it was. The decision was made to get on with the
C-section..

The end result was 4 live puppies - 3 solid black girls and 1 very sable boy.
they were pretty tough to get started - after all they got all the sedation mom
did - but once they were awake I was asking if they could be put back! LOL!!
they were climbing all over the place and making quite a racket! The stuck pup
was the 2nd born and was a very large girl. We were all pretty "punch drunk"
and
no one thought to weigh them, but they are easily well over 16 oz.
We got back home at 7, mom and babies are doing great - she is settled and
cleaning them and they are nursing like little troopers.. So, we have now gone
form no puppies in 5 years to being the proud "grand parents" of 10!! 6
dachshund pups and 4 shepherd pups. I'm tired already!!

now I need names - the theme is fire - and after all we have come through to
get
this litter from Scorch, they have got to be good!! LOL!! I haven't even begun
to think of the dachshund puppies names.. anyone got any good themes that would
suit wiener dogs?
send your names alo
ng.. I am brain dead at the moment!!
you can see the GSD pups pedigree at
www.shadowacre.com/scorch.htm
enjoy!
Sue Madlung
Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds & Standard Wire haired Dachshunds
http://www.shadowacre.com
Dachsie puppies are here!! April 6/09 - 4 boys, 2 girls!
Shepherd puppies are here!!! May 3/09 - 3 black girls, 1 sable boy!

MANNER
ALL