[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Was Carmen -- Now is -- I'M CRANKPOT!!

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 00:23:45 -0800

I received a Private letter from Carmen in response to some suggestions I
made to the Board privately.  Unlike others on this list, I do not share
private emails publicly with people on the list; however, he has indicated
in the email that he does not mind it if is shared.  If you wish to see it,
please feel free to contact me privately; or better yet, Instead of Bitching
and Moaning on the list, why don't you ask some pointed questions of Carmen
and see what he says.  If you don't like what he has to say, that's your
business, but at least before you "tar & feather" him, you should hear what
his side of the story.

Another thing while you're on a FACT finding mission, it wouldn't hurt any
of you to people who are still going on and on --- GO READ THE STINKING
BYLAWS and POLICY AND PROCEDURE.... AND THEN REMEMBER...

THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IS MANDATED TO FOLLOW PRESCRIBED BUSINESS PRACTICE
when it does it's PRIMARY FUNCTION -- Which is to MANAGE the Club safely,
fiscally and responsibly and then manage the wishes of the membership.  What
if the membership was demanding incessantly that they support the first
shepherd to the moon - a project which drained the clubs finances???  If
they did entirely what you want --- this club could be bankrupted -- so
their first priority is to MANAGE THE CLUB RESPONSIBLY.

This is one of the richest breed clubs in the country -- if not the richest.
When there are ambiguities between the bylaws and the standing rules (aka
P&P) and/or Robert's Rules, THEN you open up the door to a POTENTIAL for
suit.  That doesn't mean it's going to happen -- but if someone got their
A** on their shoulders, it might happen.  In the past, I worked for a small
non-profit that had on its website the names of its members.  In order to
use the list, the users had to click that they had read and understand a
disclaimer indicating the list was for "information purposes only and there
is no guarantee, warranty, implied or otherwise" or words to that effect.
The organization got named in a suit anyway when the customer wasn't happy
with the work -- and ended up spending THOUSANDS (well over $11,000
attorney's fees alone) just ANSWERING a lawsuit that just named them.  They
eventually were dropped from the suit for no cause (or whatever the words
are that says, Nope, you can't sue them because they covered their a**
already) Thousands of dollars down the drain -- and their bylaws weren't
ambiguous and they were following their own standing rules.

Excerpts:  Article II, section 1: Membership:  There shall be one type of
membership (except for present Life Memberships which the Club shall
continue to honor) in an unlimited number. To be eligible, a person must be
eighteen (18) years of age or older, in good standing with the American
Kennel Club, and shall subscribe to the objects of the Club.  Dania did an
investigation -- did any of you read her report to the List?  Our bylaws are
clear on who is eligible and who isn't.  So, is the guy over 18? I think so.
Is he in good standing with the AKC?  Apparently.  And he signed that he
agrees to the objects of the club.  Go read the Objects of the Club.  I
don't think the way they are written he is outside those bylaws.  So now we
go on further  ---- >  Article II, Section 3A:  Each applicant for
membership shall apply on a form as provided by the Board of Directors. From
the P&P about application forms -- it says "REQUIRES 2 ENDORSERS".
AMIBIGUOUS!  ----->  And in Article II, Section 3b, it indicates that the
"applicant may be presented by one of their endorsers".  Endorsers have to
be on the Application FORM (Synonyms for form so that those of you in the
world that use the argument - "the bylaws don't require it to be a written
endorsement": a document, paper, questionnaire, pro forma, sheet).

Now, here's the real kicker, if the past administration would have left
things alone... the Endorsers wouldn't have been dropped off -- no matter
who endorsed this guy -- the Board could have EASILY voted him down, then
let the Membership deal with it.  NOW OPEN YOUR EYES for some reason this
seems to be the hardest concept---> Do you really think that if 200 Members
Attended the Annual Meeting, No matter who his endorsers were, that he'd get
150+ people to VOTE to overturn the Board's No decision and let him in the
club??????  If you do, then I am not the only one who lives in a dreamland.

So possibly the richest breed club in the country wouldn't have been as rich
or have as many members, but we'd sure as hell be one less member than we
are now!!!

Regardless, I'm done with this -- ADMIN to please, please, please shut this
topic and anything to do with Hunte down.  It's is Counterproductive to the
original intents and purposes of this List, and most certainly is,
"prejudicial to the best interests of the Club and the breed."

We need to work together and repair the ambiguities between the bylaws &
P&P; tighten up the whole application process, and the Club & Committees
need time to do it... and more importantly, we need to stay focused on what
is a bigger problem -- we have a potential PR nightmare in the works -- how
about ideas on how to promote a positive Image of the club and the breed.
How about remembering that those Yes voters may have an understanding about
how a club is supposed to run within it's bylaws, p&p using RRoO and maybe
they had other information that has not been publicly shared.  And then,
MAYBE I don't have a fiddlers fig of an idea what the hell I'm talking
about, can't read the bylaws and interpret them because I'm illiterate.

Kathaleen