[ SHOWGSD-L ] Veterans In The Show Ring--( story )

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:55:03 -0500 (EST)

  VETERANS IN THE SHOW RING
  Permission to post this lovely piece was given by Terry Russo.

  "I see that the *Smiths* have entered their dog in the Veterans
Class. Apparently there is no one in this Club who knows that it is
customary to offer a round of applause for those that are entered. Six months
ago, at this same show, I entered my Veteran Dog in this same class.

  Not one person applauded. Not one person came up and said anything.
Not one person came over to give him a kind word or a pat. Not one
person made him feel he belonged again.

  He was no threat to anyone. He wasn't going to beat anyone, take any
points, or win anything. He was just an old dog who thought he was
special again - back in the ring for the first time in many years. Maybe he
even recalled his "Glory Days". He would have loved to have met anyone
there. He would have welcomed you like an old friend. You didn't have
to say anything nice about him if you didn't want to.

 But just in case you can't think of anything to say about a Veteran Dog, here
are some suggestions: "It was nice to see him out there". Or go up to him and
tell him he's a "Good Boy". Or tell his owner that you are glad that they
brought him. Those aren't exactly compliments, but they will please his
owner and make him glad that they brought him. I don't think that's
asking too much.

One day, all too soon, all your beautiful young dogs will
be old dogs too. Maybe one day you'll enter them in a Veterans Class.
And I hope that you do. Or, like many of us, you remember that old
friend, now gone, and wish you still had the chance. They deserve it. It may
be their final time in the sun - their last time out in front of
people. Their last time to ever be in the ring. My old dog is a Fool. He
thought he was wonderful that day. He thought he belonged. Instead, he was
ignored. I have thought about this for 6 months now, and wasn't going
to say anything. But on his behalf, and that of any other Veteran, I
hope that something like this never occurs again. As a Club of (Breed)
Fanciers, you should feel ashamed. Even if you dislike the dog or his
owner, at least show Good Sportsmanship and do the Right Thing. Show others
that you have respect for your breed. Make that Veteran Dog feel wanted and
special again. Let him know that you are glad to see him. It will
make his day. You may never get the chance again. Thank you."

  As Lynda began reading it, the hush that fell over the room was
incredible. Bless her heart, my friend Lynda broke into tears as she
struggled through reading this. EVERYONE in the room lowered their heads, and
many of them began to cry also, including the President (who is a man).
I tried my best to hold my head up and refrain from tears, again. The
President strode over to where I was sitting and in a broken voice said
"Terry........I am SO sorry. He is such a wonderful dog. There is no
excuse for what happened to you. And to him." As I started to say that I
"wasn't going to say anything" again, the room nearly burst with
everyone trying to talk at once. The discussion that followed was both
eye-opening and of valuable purpose.

Many came up to me in tears, with hugs and apologies. I am a very private and
shy person, not given to sharing my deepest feelings easily. This had been an
incredibly difficult thing for me to do, but in honor of my Veteran and all the
others out there, I felt it must be done. Was it worth it?

  When *Mr. Smith* took his lovely 12 1/2 year old dog (neutered due to
testicular cancer) into the ring, our entire membership remained - and
applauded and "whooped and hollered" him with every move. The Judge
moved to the center of the ring on his final go round and applauded, as
did her ring stewards. Others nearby, watching other breeds, came over
and remarked on how wonderful it was to see a Veteran being treated like
that. Many (including me) asked to take his picture. Everyone
complimented him and his owners. If only my old dog had enjoyed such a day...
Was it worth it? You tell me... Sorry for the length of this, but so many
in other breeds who heard about what happened have already asked me for
a copy of my written paper that I thought perhaps it was something that
needed to be shared. Amazing how quickly word spreads amongst us dog
people. It's often said "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". But I
know one old dog who taught something of great value."

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY

The only way to understand & estimate the nature of the dog is to study his
whole development. Such a task requires a sympathetic, dog-loving observer, who
tries as far as possible to enter into the innermost mind of the dog, and who
will know how to short-circuit all his purely human points of view. --Max von
Stephanitz

Whoever will only draw conclusions from the eminence of his own particular
point of view, will obtain a distorted picture. --Max von Stephanitz