[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vaccines and Titers

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:46:21 -0500 (EST)

Kay I started doing titers over a dozen years ago, first on dogs in  mid
life, later routinely at 3.  I was convinced by those results that the  dogs
probably didn't need another vaccine.

I won't however wait until 9+ weeks to vaccinate a puppy and every
companion puppy leaves here w/ 2 vaccines.  I can honestly tell you we are
seeing
things (courtesy of dogs being brought in for rescue), that we never did
before.

I know you have heard of "herd protection" where those unvaccinated (dogs,
people, etc.) are protected by the high number of people/dogs in a
population  BEING immunized.  We are seeing this fail people when vaccines
aren't
given, outbreaks of measles and TB, and we are seeing it in dogs w/ parvo and
 distemper.

I know people who have lost puppies that they waited to vaccinate or waited
 too long between vaccines to re-vaccinate (should not be longer than 3
weeks).  To me, it's just not worth the risk.

Dr. Dodds may have had a valid point about dogs not needing all the
vaccines as adults, but lately IMO she's over the top.  Her latest is that
dogs
don't need year round heartworm preventative and there is a handy-dandy map
on her site (my state is listed as one where six months will do).  Guess
what?  We are having above 50 degree weather in a few days. People are  going
to jump on THAT band wagon and we'll see more heart worm positive  dogs.

She wants to blame ALL ills on environmental factors and I'm not ready to
follow her over that particular cliff.

In fact, I've gone the other way courtesy of sick dogs being imported to my
 area for rescue.  I now give a bitch I plan to breed an annual  booster.
I don't breed a bitch under 2 or over 5, and I do want their  maternal
antibodies as high as possible.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 1/8/2014 7:29:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
showgsd@xxxxxxx writes:

I am  just catching up on list mail as I was gone for a long weekend.
I have  always done titers since I first attended a Dr. Dodd's seminar
in  the late 80's or early 90's.  But I always did the titers around 2
or 3 years of age after the dog had obviously had several  vaccinations.

Recently, I decided to do a titer on my young male,  Magnum, when it
had been a year since the last of his initial "puppy  shots' that had
been given by his breeder.  I wanted to see  what his immunity level
was early on.  I just received the  results and according to the
reading by my vet, he probably will  never need another shot for Parvo
in his life time as his immunity  was so high.  His distemper immunity
was also very high and she  would probably do another titer for that in
about 7 years! So  although titers are expensive, I will be saving a
considerable  amount of money by not having my vet give the shots so it
all seems  to even out in the long run.  Of course, we have to do
rabies  every three years as required by California law and I do give
kennel  cough vaccinations about every 6 months as the dogs are going
to  shows so often. Hopefully in the near future, a titer for rabies
will be allowed.

I can't even imagine what I was doing to the  immune systems of my
early dogs as in some cases I was giving  vaccinations every 6 months!!!!

Kay  Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS & Multi Group  Winning
GCH. Rohan's Reward ROM, TC, CGC,HT,RE,CDX, CHIC, DM  normal
"Strider" 80 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2009 - 2008 BOB Eukanuba, 2009  BOS
Eukanuba

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html