[ SHOWGSD-L ] UNDERSTANDING INTERNET SECURITY PART III

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:50:37 -0500

Why we use the term critter, viri etc  is because several ISPS that our list
members are on will
bounce posts containing these words - we have done this not ebcause we do not
know english,
but to prevent bounces.

And we also use ph*shing so it does not causes bouncing

And while the "known" websites have teams of experts, things do slip through

You do not have to go to a link to get infected.  Insdie the html code of a
website or a fancy html
email are javascripts.  These scripts which run tons of things on a webpage
(from the navigation
bar, to collecting cookies) AUTO EXECUTE when you open a webpage.  They can
contain, any
manner of critter - a viri, worm, malware, trojan

This list only allows a plain text post - hence no scripts, embeds, or
attachments - that prevents
the transmission of critters

Opening an email from someone who has a critter on this list, will not give you
one unless you
click on the link and visit the infected webpage. This is called a drive-by
infection

The critter we see all too frequently on lists is gotten by visiting an
infected website and allowing
javascript to be allowed - I keep it turned off.  This critter only affects the
machine it is residing
on - turning it into an email server - out sends porno links, payload links,
ph*shing links to
everyone in the persons addressbook.  You will not catch it by reading an
email.  Only by going
to one of those links.

Cookies are seen on most websites. Google uses these cookies to determine which
websites
you visit.  Other cookies collect keystrokes. Others collect a surprising
amount of information.

It is best to delete cookies from your browsers FREQUENTLY.