[ SHOWGSD-L ] Toyota's and Subaru's

  • From: MASSTANA@xxxxxxx
  • To: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx, grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:42:48 EST

Someone wrote:
It is  not an option for many folks to stop driving their
>vehicles.   What is practical is to know what to do if you
>have an acceleration or  braking issue.  In either case,
>DO NOT TURN THE CAR  OFF!!!!!  I cannot say this enough.
>If you turn off the ignition,  you will lose ALL control of the vehicle.

This is, of course, not true.  If you turn off the engine you will  lose
power assist in your steering and brakes.  They will both work fine,  but will
take more effort.  You will not lose all control of the  vehicle.  You
don't want to remove the key but you will be able  to control the car.  However
the best course of action is to go into  neutral.

As an aside  every day millions of people in the US drive their  Toyota's
to work or where ever not thousands as one person mentioned.  We  have had
numerous Toyota's of various models since 1990 and have never  experienced any
of the reported problems.  We currently have two 04's with  no problems.
When you have millions of these cars on the road and a  couple dozen people
have the problem, you can bet the media will find that  couple dozen folks
and have them on the news in a flash.

And, oh by the way, Subaru's are great little cars!  They have a great
reputation, are very dependable and offer all wheel drive in every model.   Not
without their peculiar problems but what car brand isn't?  Since  I retired
 in 98, I have been buying and selling used (Pre-owned,  sounds better!)
cars and the easiest sell are Subaru's.  It will  be interesting to watch what
happens to used car values on late model  Toyota's.   Could be a great
opportunity to pick up a world class car  like an Avalon, or Sienna on the
cheap.
John V