[ SHOWGSD-L ] This will also get me in trouble...move over Sarah

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:12:33 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/16/11 7:49:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
stormy435@xxxxxxxxx writes:
There  are some professions that require more drive that we seem to see
in  the GSD rings.  I am NOT saying that that extreme drive is right or
wrong, I am simply saying the for the MOST part, the Conformation
rings don't seem to have as much as some jobs might  require.

I do think we need to be honest with ourselves.  We, generally do not  want
what our standard call for.

Having said that, and raising my shields, let me explain what I mean.

Our dogs are to be aloof. That means they are not to be friendly to
strangers, and to stand firm when approached. That sounds great, but we do tend

to enjoy a dog that warms to kids on the street, and will find a stranger
interesting.

We don't want a dog that sits in the kennel all day, then tears up the
ring, or the sheep when let out. We want a house dog, we want a companion, and
we enjoy the camaraderie of our dogs.  With that in mind, we have the
freedom to interpret our standard to allow us to have what we want, and still
approach our standard.

In some countries the dogs are bred to work, and are kept outside. Many
countries would not consider having a dog live in the house with the family.
That isn't right or wrong, just not our way.

I love a dog firm in temperament, strong in will, willing to work, but also
 keeping my feet warm on a cold Winter's night.  I don't believe that is
what Max had in mind, but then again, he never talked to me.

Not that there in anything wrong with that.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together