[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The temperament of the GSD

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:16:47 -0700

BlankI truly believe every day life with our dogs is what's most =
important. And then the show ring and titles comes afterwards if that's =
your goal. We all have many stories about our dogs we like to share. I =
would like to share this one because we all need a good laugh. And I =
hope you don't find this little story boring. It=92s about a wonderful =
silver/blk German Shepherd bitch named =93Kelly.=94 Kelly was my =
families GSD in the early seventies. My mom and dad bought Kelly as a =
young puppy and she was a =91one-of-kind=92 right from the start. My =
family simply adored her.

=20

Kelly was more than a wonderful shepherd. I feel she had the perfect =
temperament for the breed. And was healthy for many years to come. What =
more could a person ask for. Still to this day, many memories of Kelly =
are brought to conversation.=20

=20

When Kelly was about five years of age my mom gave Kelly to her mother, =
Cora who lived on a farm in Cushing, WI. There were many good reasons =
for this gift to Cora. Many times on the farm Cora would get very =
lonesome. Grandpa, Johnny was always gone some place working at =
different jobs. So Kelly became Cora=92s perfect company. Cora taught =
Kelly to stay out of her large garden while she worked in it, or not. =
Kelly would lie at the edge of the garden and wait for Cora to finish =
her work. Kelly was great with children, also excellent with the other =
animals on their farm. Cora would always say, =93I=92ve had many great =
dogs in my life time, but, Kelly is one I will never forget.=94 She was =
a magnificent shepherd in so many ways. She would herd the cattle for =
them and keep the hogs in line when needed. She saved Cora from a =
daunting stranger who once tried to come to her door when Johnny =
wasn=92t home. He surely looked to be of no good. Cora asked him to =
leave. Cora said; =93If it wouldn=92t have been for Kelly not letting =
him near the door she wouldn=92t have known how to handle the =
situation.=94 The stranger finally tuned away and left. Cora said, =
=93That moment, Kelly was worth all her weight in gold.=94 Yes, this =
shepherd was meant to be with my Grandma, Cora to the end.

=20

Cora always had countless stories to tell about Kelly. Most of them were =
always enjoyable/funny stories that would make my Grandma laugh with =
shear joy! Except for the one and only time Kelly ran into a porcupine. =
It had taken hours to clean her up. It was a painful process. But she =
lay quiet without sound until the job was done.

=20

The one story that=92s so amusing to this day was of Kelly and the =
neighbors=92 chickens. Kelly would go to the neighbors not far =
away=85possibly sometime in the evening and always bring one chicken =
home with her. She would never hurt them. She would keep them in her dog =
house that was right next to Cora=92s back door. This was so comical! =
When Cora would greet Kelly in the morning, again there would be another =
chicken in her dog house with her. What was odd =96 the chickens would =
never come out of her dog house. It was as if Kelly ordered them to stay =
inside and they would.

=20

Feeling quite guilty about the whole situation, Cora would take the =
chickens back to her neighbor and apologize for what her dog had done. =
But after awhile, those people did not find this at all amusing and =
became furious over Kelly=92s sport. They continued to tell Cora that =
they didn=92t want Kelly over at their place anymore. So, there was no =
other alternative for Cora. In the evenings, Cora would tie Kelly up to =
her dog house. Back in the =91old farm day=92s people hardly tethered =
their dogs. They were allowed to roam free so they could protect the =
family and the other animals on the farm. This was just another great =
aspect of Kelly=92s greatness.

=20

Cora couldn=92t take it anymore. The sadness on Kelly's face from being =
tied was all too difficult to endure any more. After three days or so =
that passed she never tethered Kelly again. As the following morning of =
freedom arrived =96 yes, there was Kelly with another unharmed chicken =
in her dog house. It was almost as if Kelly was lonesome or showing her =
maternal instincts. Maybe the chickens were her friends. Cora just =
didn=92t know what to do anymore. She wanted to stay friends with her =
neighbors and didn=92t want them angry at her dog. Clever as Kelly was, =
she never had been seen taking the chickens. So, Cora finally came up =
with a solution. As Kelly brought more chickens home with her, Cora and =
Johnny ate them! =20

=20

Grandma Cora would laugh and then continue to tell more stories about =
the wonderful shepherd named Kelly.

Most likely Kelly would've never won anything in the breed ring but her =
life story was GVX, Select 1. =96Kathy Partch