[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The difference?

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:59:58 -0800

You are right Barbara...there are Champion, and Working Dogs that are good
to average, that do get a title, that are not standouts, and that eventually
disappear, from the ring, and one's memory.. There is something more than
just "Okay here I am and I will do it , but I am only going through the
motions (or as bad, with some "I will do it because I am scared not to" ) It
is NOT a real showdog/ working dog.  They do it because they have to, or
because they just go through it...zzzzzzz.  A HUGE pet peeve of ours is
a slug and/or a coward. They do NOT a real show or working dog make...nor a
GSD for that matter. We believe this is passed on through DNA and we see
these types of problems all the time, from generation to generation in some
lines.   It is not limited to dogs, it is applicable to horses as well.
The GREAT dogs both conformation and working have a certain "something"  .
Some call it heart, yes that.  It is also charisma, SPARKLE, VIGOR and the
abject JOY of doing what they love best, and giving 100% all the time,
everytime. .  It can be a striking conformation dog that just exudes "Look
at Me"..the peacocks, the showmen.  It can be a working dog that had joy and
anticipation of pleasing his owner, in obedience, therapy, SchH, herding,
you name it.

THIS IS WORK ETHIC, AND DESIRE TO PLEASE AND BRAVADO AND SUPERCEDES ALL
ELSE. It is largely genetic, and will hopefully be nurtured by people that
know how to allow this to shine through while still getting a performance
from the dog. These dogs are the ones that LOVE what they do, and they SHOW
it.
That attitude, that work ethic , that desire takes "ho hum" turning it into
WOW , look at HIM/HER!

As far as ROMs that are outstanding, and others...there are some genuine
producers and stud dogs /horses.  The ones that show consistency with each
litter, with multiple , different mates.  The cookie cutter or prepotent
sires and dams.  Then there are the "made producers"   We have all seen
this, and I won't even comment, it is a waste of energy
Kathy Tank