[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Tragical Loss of Bloodlines & Mentoring A MUST READ

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:48:59 -0400 (EDT)

I thought the article made a lot of good points.  Who knows if things  are
worse than they were?  I do know folks are keeping fewer dogs, growing  out
less progeny and something is lost there.

I clipped two sections:

"Infinitely worse, far too many are wont to sell as show prospects all
remotely saleable individuals from each litter produced without regard to
consistency of quality or future prepotency."

BOY isn't that the truth!  'nuf said.

Here's the second section I clipped:

"Evidently, many of todayâ??s trendy fanciers may view dog breeding as a sort
 of genetic â??smorgasbordâ?? wherein it really does not matter what one
starts with  or ends up with as long as it produces a winner instantly. What we
are  witnessing is the rejection of the proven practice of long term breeding
from a  particular line or lines in order to manifest some version of the
breed standard  along with the essential fine-tuning that it has always
necessitated. I have  personally noted (along with many who have arisen from
the
traditional role of  dog breeding) that no apparent mental concept of the
breed standard seems to be  required by this new generation of dog breeders.
In itsâ?? place resides the  quaint desire to refrain from producing a show
specimen with any disqualifying  faults or other serious refractions that might
prevent winning. If every critter  produced by such breeders and their
typical, entangling alliances is entirely  different in type, temperament and
structure from the next, this is apparently  incidental if not amusingly
quirky â?? rather than appropriately  humiliating."

Interesting, no?  And scary.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/1/2012 1:35:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

http://newacdgazette.com/2011/04/13/the-tragical-loss-of-bloodlines-and-mentoring/

I  read this article and found it fascinating and interesting. The writer
is  articulate and thorough, but I must admit, that, as usual, I did not
agree  with it all. It would make for a good discussion however. I do not know
the  author, but I suspect she is older, and has enough history behind her to
look  back and make comparisons. So am I, although sometimes I wish I were
not. My  questions are:

1 Do we old people always look backward and remember how  great we were and
how sound our breeding programs were and make less than  flattering
comparisons with the breeding of today? It may be that the sky has  fallen and
we
have ruined our breed, but I sort of doubt it. I like what I see  in the ring
primarily, although there are some people who do not have a clue  and will
never be breeders of note. The assumption that this did not exist in  the
past is a leap of logic that I don't think I can make.

2. Does  breeding to winners ruin a program? I know, there are some winning
dogs that I  would not breed to and some that win for reasons I do not
understand. And some  winning dogs have turned out to have genetic issues that
have set us back  generations. But, to breed for mediocrity does have its
down side. The show,  after all, is our showcase, and if knowledgeable judges
consistently put up  the same dogs and the same lines, should I ignore that
in preference to  staying the course with my non-winning dogs?

3. Do the people of the  past know less than those who are breeding winning
dogs today? In many cases I  would agree, but in many cases I think we have
far greater knowledge in many  areas as time moves forward. Knowledge is
not a static thing, but is  cumulative - the more we have from the past, the
more we can add in the  present and the greater the body of knowledge
available in the future. Of  course, the accumulation of ignorance and
stupidity
may stick with us also, so  what do I know? They both have roots in the past
and exist in the  present.

Just a few of my thoughts as I read the article and an  invitation to
discuss this perspective..... as my expense of  course.

Dave.
On  Amazon

 is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.