[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Review

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vprezhmf@xxxxxxx>, <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <liana@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:00:41 -0600

I have been reading the posts on the Review and have found the responses
interesting.

My background is that I do the complete layout and many of the ads for DCA's
magazine the Spotter. I also get it ready for press and prepare it to be put

on-line by our webmistress.

Fortunately, our magazine is quarterly and is done by a team of people, ALL of
which are Dal folks that are involved in the breed. Putting a publication is a
HUGE amount of work and if any of your team players are not dog people, it is
that much harder..

Some things I have learned - yes, you are the end result and it is up to you to
make sure that the magazine has no or few errors, but you also have to hope
that the people that supply the ads, the articles and the photos are on the
mark.

There have been some complaints about the declining amount of information, etc.
Maybe it's time for the membership to step up to the plate and help out. Any
publication is as good as its topics. Fortunately, we have lots of folks that
love to write in DCA. We also have committees, that do articles, specialties
send in candids, and we try to keep EVERYONE involved. Each issue gets better
and better.

The best thing we did was go on-line! EVERYONE LOVES IT! Yup, we lost those 6
subscriptions that we had, but we have so many more folks interested in DCA.
All the pet people who thought we were a snobby show club have now discovered
that DCA members are interested in many of the same things as they are -
rescue, agility, health, etc. We also have lots more pet folks that want to
join DCA and several have decided that they want to do the performance stuff
because of the interest at all levels.

Maybe it's time for the Review to move to every other month - it would be
bigger, more cost effective and probably cut down on the errors. There are
complaints that there isn't enough information in it right now - every other
month would be a benefit...

I still enjoy the Review, complain about the errors, but also know that it is a
ton of work..

Attached is the link to the Spotter. Yes, I know of one error in there :-)
Enjoy!

http://www.thespotter.org/

Jessica MacMillan
No Frills Dog Bathing Service & Design
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/