[ SHOWGSD-L ] Teeth...Tails...etc

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:44:39 -0800

I chuckle when I see someone walk in with a letter from a vet. It...the
explanation in the letter...could well be true. BUT...how would I know? It's
like saying the "Check is in da mail"...
My experience with such a letter had to do with a dead tail. The vet said the
tail was caught in a van door and that's why it was dead...but it was alive
before that happened.

I judged the dogs on the day and the letter did little to elevate said dogs
standing in the ring. It is easy to say even if the tail was wagging wildly it
would not made a difference either.

A dog with a missing tooth and a letter from a vet is no different. I
too...have put up a dog with a missing tooth that was...IMO...exceptional in
every other category. The really funny part of this story is that I'd seen the
missing molar before I did the individual. Judge's side...dog was panting...it
was easy. I gently pried the "well known handlers" thumb from the hole where
the tooth had been and said..."They don't run on their teeth do they?" He
laughed...but it was a nervous laugh.

Long story short...there was a dog there that had all his teeth and matched him
in every other respect a Judge should acknowledge...who won. If that dog hadn't
been there...the dog with the missing molar would have gone WD instead of RWD.
Yes...he was that good.

Letters by a vet are a joke. If the dog is a good dog it will win under most
Judges if they are not fault Judges because it is a good dog.

So...if the dog about which the original question was posted is a good dog...it
will win without the letter on merit.

Nuff said on this thread...I'm off to a Specialty manana...

Paul

Visit Rivendell on 'da web' at www.rivendellgsd.com