[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: - Tail Amputation, Health Question*

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:20:10 EST

How old is the dog. It could also be caused by DM or neurological problems
with the spine.  If the tail is going dead, it will start out as a prickly
sensation like when you hit your funny bone or a gradual numbing sensation that
will cause the dog to bite the tail trying to relieve the feelings in the tail.
My first GSD started biting her tail about mid to lower section when she was
about 10.  She would get it pretty raw and if I taped it she would get it off
when I was at work.  This went on for about six months.  Then I can home one
day
and she had "eaten" about half of her tail...starting from the midsection on
down...it was gone so I assumed she ate it.  I took her to two vets and they
both recommended amputating the tail off to about 2 digits from the croup area.
 She was a long coat so her butt after the surgery looked like an aussie
butt!  She was very happy, never missed her tail and I think she felt relief
from
all the tingling sensations.  Never had any problems after that. She lived to
be 12 1/2.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
In a message dated 12/6/05 1:34:09 PM, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Karen Wrote

I have a health question.  A  colleague was telling me about a gsd that =
had=20
some behavioral (or neurological)  disorder where he was so anxious he
chewed=20
on his own tail.  They were  having to amputate the tail.  The claim is =
that

this disorder is "common"  in the gsd.  Is that accurate? >>