[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: TX: El Paso Times critiques Title 7 Revisions

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:34:21 EST

December 17, 2005
Please email Charlie Edgren at the El Paso Times to  express your
appreciation for his insightful analysis of this oppressive,  unenforceable
legislation recently passed in El Paso, Texas.  It may be  "playing" in your
city  next.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005512170306

Title  7 falls far short of what pets need

Charlie Edgren
El Paso  Times
Saturday, December 17, 2005

City Council's passage this week of  a new animal control ordinance was a
feeble gesture in the right direction, but  little more than that.

And it probably created more problems than it  solved.

City Reps. Lozano and Holguin (of the Eddie variety) were right  to vote
against Title 7, parts of which are going to muddy the situation rather  than
clarify it and create a whole lot of bad feelings.

Of particular  concern is Title 7.04.030.B: "For the purpose of discharging
the duties imposed  by this Title and to enforce its provisions, any Officer is
empowered at all  reasonable times and upon presentation of appropriate
credentials, to enter any  premises upon which an animal is kept or harbored
and to
demand the exhibition,  by the owner of a dog or cat, of the certificate of
vaccination, verification of  microchip and, and certificate of registration
for such dog or cat.

" ...  No Officer shall, however, enter a private residence for purposes of
making an  inspection under this chapter without first receiving permission
from a lawful  adult occupant of such residence or being authorized to inspect
such residence  by a magistrate or by order of a court of competent
jurisdiction
upon showing of  a probably violation of this Title."

What's next, Sanitation Department  officials coming around and demanding to
inspect my wastebaskets?

Giving  such specific invasive authority to people in a historically
inefficient,  people-unfriendly agency such as Animal Control doesn't seem
like a prudent  move.

What needs to happen is a top-to-bottom restructuring of the  department and
a whole lot better training before personnel are turned loose on
neighborhoods to canvass.

Canvassing -- a politically correct term for  bothering people in their
homes. Title 7 limits these little social calls to  "reasonable times." OK, who
defines "reasonable times?" The best time to catch  people at home is during
the
dinner hour. That may be reasonable for the AC  types, but what about the
residents? I for one will not look favorably on some  Animal Control yahoo who
wants to check my dogs' tags while I have a mouthful of  meatloaf and am
watching
"Walker: Texas Ranger" kick the bejeebers out of  bothersome people.

And think of the expense when a bunch of irate people  quite correctly start
demanding court orders for these home  invasions.

Part of the canvassing also supposedly includes  "education."

"Sir or madam, I'm here this evening to educate you about  the wonders of
microchipping, or vaccinations, or registration, or spaying and  neutering, or
whatever."

Fine. Educate me through an insert in my water  or gas bill. Everyone else
does. Call a neighborhood meeting. Put public-service  announcements on TV and
radio. Put up billboards. Go out and give talks in  schools, churches, service
clubs, etc.

Just don't -- DO NOT -- bother me  at home on my own time.

Why is canvassing necessary? Shouldn't all  the
microchip/vaccination/registration information be on a database? If it
isn't, why not?

How will the neighborhoods be picked for canvassing? Will  the poor areas be
targeted because people there are less likely to be able to  afford the love
and companionship of a pet, the warmth and joy of a dog or cat,  because of
onerous fees?

We hear too many stories about Animal Control  not responding to calls, that
there aren't enough personnel to keep up with  business. So, where is Animal
Control suddenly going to get enough people to  canvass neighborhoods?

Microchipping is great.

Title 7 isn't even  close.

Charlie Edgren is editorial page editor for the El Paso Times.  E-mail him at
_cedgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:cedgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
a rumor flies around the world  while the truth is still putting it's shoes
on..
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)